This vanilla sheet cake is so easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious! Light, fluffy, and moist, this sheet cake recipe doesn’t need any eggs, and is perfect for birthdays and holidays!
Vanilla Sheet Cake:
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) vegan buttermilk
- 3 2/3 cup (450 g) all-purpose flour (or 512 g gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup (350 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 g) salted vegan butter (I recommend Miyoko’s or Flora Plant butter), room temperature
- 1 cup (240 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract (yes, 2 tablespoons!!)
- Optional (but recommended): 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–4 tbsp unsweetened dairy free milk
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×13″ metal sheet pan with olive or cooking oil, and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk. Combine the dairy free milk with the apple cider vinegar, and set aside to sit for 5-6 minutes. You can weigh and measure the remaining ingredients during this time.
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. Then add in the applesauce or dairy free yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix again on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides and at the bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in about half of the dry mixture, along with half of the vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until just combined. Add in the remaining dry mixture and vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until there are just no more dry ingredients. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl as well as the sides.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in its pans for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled completely (there is absolutely no warmth to the touch!), then you can prepare your buttercream. This will take about an hour.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: When ready to frost the cakes, add vegan butter and cream cheese to a large bowl or stand mixer and cream for 2-3 minutes. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick frosting. Add in vanilla and 2-4 tablespoons of coconut/almond milk and continue to beat until desired texture.
- Frost and serve: Frost cake, decorate, and enjoy!
Keywords: vanilla sheet cake, vanilla sheet cake recipe, vegan sheet cake, Texas sheet cake recipe