The rich and tender vegan small chocolate cake is topped with a small batch silky dairy free milk chocolate buttercream. Based on my award winning vegan chocolate cake, you only need one bowl and NO eggs to make this 6 inch small batch chocolate cake!
- 1/3 cup (100 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cups (125 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (32 g) all natural cocoa powder, sifted
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cups (117 g) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (37 g) brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 tbsp (38 g) unsalted vegan butter*, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (75 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) hot water + 1 tsp dissolvable espresso powder (or 1/3 cup (80 mL) brewed coffee, decaf if desired)
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 g) vegan milk chocolate chips (such as by Enjoy Life)
- 1 cup (160 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line a 6″ cake pan with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients, and make sure that the vegan buttermilk is prepared.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan buttermilk, granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, applesauce or dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Gently whisk just until the flour begins to integrate into the batter, then pour the HOT coffee or espresso into the bowl, and whisk JUST until a smooth batter forms.
- Bake: Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan. Place the cake into the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in its pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 30-40 minutes. There should be no warmth whatsoever coming from the cake before frosting.
- While the cake is cooling: About 10-15 minutes before you’re ready to frost the cake, melt the vegan chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave until completely melted, stirring in between increments to fully melt. Allow the chocolate to cool for 5-7 minutes.
- Make the milk chocolate buttercream: When the chocolate is cool enough, add the vegan butter to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment or use a hand mixer to cream the vegan butter until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Then add in the melted chocolate, and cream the butter and milk chocolate together. In 1/4 cup increments, add in the powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Frost the cake: Scoop the frosting onto the cake, and spread it around on top. Top with vegan sprinkles.
- Slice and serve! Serve the cake immediately, or store any leftovers tightly wrapped and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Gluten free: I recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure flour.
Keywords: small chocolate cake, vegan small chocolate cake, vegan 6 inch cake, 6 inch chocolate cake, one bowl chocolate cake, no eggs chocolate cake, vegan chocolate cake