This super creamy vegan cookie dough ice cream is packed with edible cookie dough balls and chocolate chips in every bite! With an easy no churn dairy free vanilla ice cream base, this is the best homemade cookie dough ice cream recipe that can easily be made gluten free and refined sugar free!
Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream Base:
See notes section for cashew base or Paleo base.
- 2 13.8-ounce cans heavy coconut cream
- 1 13.8-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar or 1/2 cup (170 grams) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Vegan Cookie Dough Balls:
- 3 batches healthy edible cookie dough (see post for gluten free option)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (for the ice cream)
- Make sure that your flour is toasted before making the cookie dough first. See note below.
- Make the ice cream after the flour is toasted. See directions of cashew milk ice cream or Paleo vanilla ice cream for specific instructions. If making the coconut milk based ice cream, blend the coconut cream, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and vanilla powder in a food processor until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 9×5″ loaf pan, and place into the freezer to chill for 30-45 minutes.
- While the ice cream is chilling for the first 30-45 minutes, make the cookie dough according to the instructions. Then form the cookie dough into 1 tsp-sized cookie dough balls, and place onto a baking sheet or into a bowl to be chilled in the fridge until ready to add into the ice cream.
- Stir in the cookie dough balls and chocolate chips: after the ice cream has started to thicken, stir the ice cream in the container. Then add in the cookie dough balls and chocolate chips. Stir to evenly distribute. Then freeze the ice cream for 1 hour.
- Stir the ice cream once more: after an hour, stir the ice cream once more, making sure that the cookie dough balls are evenly distributed throughout the ice cream. Freeze the ice cream for 2-3 hours or until set.
- When ready to serve: allow the ice cream to thaw for 15 minutes before scooping onto ice cream cones or in a bowl.
- To store, cover with plastic wrap, tin foil, or store in an airtight container and place into the freezer.
Other ice cream options:
See post for ice cream machine option!
To heat treat flour: preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the flour onto the baking sheet and place into the oven to toast for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before using for the cookie dough.
Gluten free option: make the cookie dough gluten free by swapping out an equal ratio of flour oat flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour. Please make sure to heat treat the flour if using those either of those options.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 25.1 g
- Sodium: 44.9 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cookie dough ice cream, cookie dough ice cream recipe, gluten free cookie dough ice cream, vegan ice cream recipe