These vegan chocolate cupcakes are the BEST chocolate cupcakes you will ever taste, vegan or not. Light and fluffy, super moist, and ultra rich, these super easy vegan chocolate cupcakes will turn any vanilla lover into a chocolate lover! Perfect for birthdays, weddings, holidays, and more!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsweetened dairy-free milk with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, room temperature*
- 1 cups (125 grams) flour, sifted *see note for gluten free option
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (90 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 cup (226 grams) vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups (260 grams) powdered sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup (100 grams) cacao powder
- 2–3 tbsp dairy free milk
- Please read through all instructions. Measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with liners. Make sure the dairy-free milk and lemon juice/ACV are mixed together and set aside to curdle. This will be your vegan buttermilk.
- Prepare the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Make the chocolate cupcakes batter: In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and coconut sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Then add in the applesauce and mix again. Carefully add in about half of the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and half of the vegan buttermilk. Mix again lightly until almost all of the dry ingredients are incorporated, then add in the remaining dry mixture and vegan buttermilk, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling the liners about 2/3 of the way full. You should get about 10-12 cupcakes.
- Place the cupcakes into the over and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the cupcake tin. After 10 minutes, transfer the cupcakes to the cooling rack until they are fully cooled.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, begin making the vegan chocolate buttercream frosting.
- To make the vegan chocolate buttercream frosting, beat the vegan butter until creamy. Sift in the cacao powder and the powdered sugar (or coconut sugar). Continue to beat the frosting, adding in 2-3 tbsp of dairy free milk to help combine the sugar into the butter. The buttercream should be fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with a tip and pipe the vegan buttercream frosting onto the cool cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!
Vegan Buttermilk: this is definitely a necessity for these cupcakes! Simply combine the dairy free milk and the apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice if you don’t have vinegar) and let the mixture sit for 5-7 minutes to curdle. Then use immediately in the recipe.
Keywords: vegan chocolate cupcakes, vegan chocolate cupcake recipe, best chocolate cupcakes, vegan chocolate buttercream frosting, vegan cupcakes