These incredibly sweet and fluffy vegan funfetti cupcakes taste just like classic funfetti cupcakes! With a super moist and tender cake filled with vegan sprinkles, these vegan funfetti cupcakes are ready in under 30 minutes for the perfect birthday dessert!
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup (144 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup (225 g) cake flour or sifted gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (if doing gluten-free, add in 1 tsp arrowroot powder)
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (120 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar (see Notes)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 1/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract + 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 3/4 cup vegan sprinkles
Vegan Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups (339 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (480 g) powdered sugar
- 1–2 tbsp dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra vegan sprinkles for decoration
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Make the vegan buttermilk following the post instructions linked, and set aside. Measure out all ingredients.
- Make the batter: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegan butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Add in the cake flour, along with the baking powder and soda. Then pour in the vegan buttermilk and whisk until the dry ingredients are JUST incorporated to ensure that you don’t over mix the batter. Remove the whisk.
- Fold in the sprinkles: Add in the sprinkles, and use a rubber or silicone spatula to gently fold in the vegan sprinkles just until evenly distributed.
- Bake: Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 of the way up to ensure that your vegan funfetti cupcakes don’t overflow. Bake the cupcakes for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
- Cool: Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Make the buttercream: In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer with whisk attachment, cream the vegan butter until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar in 1 cup increments, along with 1 tbsp of dairy free milk at a time, mixing in between each cup of sugar until incorporated. Add in the vanilla extract, and cream together until mixed.
- Frost the cupcakes: Pipe or smear the vegan buttercream on top of the funfetti cupcakes. Top with vegan sprinkles, and serve!
Gluten free: Please see blog post FAQ’s section for gluten-free options.
Storage: Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Make ahead: Please see blog post FAQ’s section for make-ahead options.
Keywords: vegan funfetti cupcakes, funfetti cupcakes, easy funfetti cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, homemade funfetti cupcakes, dairy free funfetti cupcakes