The ultimate vegan Harry Potter Birthday Cake for all witches and wizards! Ultra rich vegan chocolate cake layered with caramel and vegan frosting!
- 2 cups cake flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour (see Note)
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup dairy-free milk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water, with 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 batch vegan buttercream frosting
- 1 tbsp beet powder
- 2 tsp matcha powder or 1 tsp vegan yellow food coloring and 1 tsp vegan blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup Paleo vegan caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two 8″ cake pans with coconut oil and a 1/2 tbsp each of flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add in the dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix together until there are no more clumps.
- Pour the boiling espresso into the batter. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 35-37 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully on a cooling rack before frosting.
- When ready to frost, prepare the vegan vanilla buttercream according to the vegan vanilla buttercream directions. Once the buttercream is prepped, spoon about 3/4 cup of frosting into a separate bowl (this will be for the green frosting), and add in the beet powder to the large bowl. Whip the beet powder into the frosting until it’s thoroughly mixed.
- In the small bowl, add in either matcha powder, or vegan yellow and blue food coloring and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Frost the cakes by spooning and smoothing about 1/2-2/3 cup of frosting onto the first layer, then 1/2 cup caramel sauce. Add the second layer on top of the first and frost with the remaining frosting.
- In a piping bag with writing tip, spoon the green frosting into the piping bag and pipe “HAPPEE BIRTHDAE HARRY” onto the cake.
- Slice and serve!
If using GF flour, add 1 tbsp cornstarch and sift together to resemble cake flour.
For flaxseed egg, combine 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp water. Let sit for 5-7 minutes.
Prepare the vegan caramel sauce before making the cake to ensure it has enough time to cool.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 45 g
- Sodium: 229.1 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 64 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan Harry Potter birthday cake, harry potter birthday cake, vegan chocolate caramel cake