This easy vegan strawberry cake is PACKED with fresh strawberries and so simple to make (no gelatin and just a whisk and a bowl!)! Layered with a fresh strawberry buttercream, this will quickly become your favorite spring vegan cake recipe!
Vegan Strawberry Cake:
3 1/2 cups (440 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour*
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup (120 mL) vegan buttermilk or Forager Project drinkable cashew milk probiotic yogurt, room temperature
1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (240 g) strawberry puree*, room temperature
1/2 cup (120 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
3/4 cup (170 g) vegan butter, room temperature
2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 batch vegan strawberry frosting
- Prep: First make the vegan butter milk. Mix together the dairy free milk with the apple cider vinegar to curdle and become a vegan buttermilk. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F and line two 8″ cake pans or three 6″ cake pans with parchment paper and lightly oil.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, sugar, dairy free yogurt, strawberry puree, and vanilla extract until combined and smooth. You don’t want any clumps of butter. If it’s easiest, you can melt the vegan butter first and allow it to come to room temperature. Sift in the remaining ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt) followed by the vegan buttermilk, and mix JUST until there are no more dry streaks (being careful not to over mix the batter).
- Bake: Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans, and place the cake pans into the oven. A 6″ cake will take around 28-30 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. For two 8″ cake layers, bake for 30-35 minutes, and test with a toothpick.
- Cool: Once the cakes are baked, remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack to fully cool before frosting.
- Make the strawberry buttercream: Once cool, make the strawberry buttercream per instructions.
- Assemble and frost: To assemble the cake, add about 1 cup of frosting in between each layer, smoothing to the edges of the cake. Frost the outer edges as well. If you have any reserved frosting, you can pipe decoration onto the top and bottoms of the cake as well!
- Serve & enjoy! Top with fresh strawberries and enjoy!
Gluten free: you can easily make this vegan strawberry cake gluten free by using a gluten-free flour blend containing xanthan gum (super important!). I love using King Arthur Measure-for-Measure gluten-free flour with 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch.
Strawberry puree: It’s really best to use a kitchen scale here if you can! 240 g fresh strawberries = 240 g strawberry puree. However, 1 cup strawberry puree is ABOUT 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, so it’s a bit different. Simply blend the strawberries in a blender or food processor until pureed. Then incorporate into your cake batter.
Keywords: vegan strawberry cake, homemade strawberry cake, fresh strawberry cake, gluten free strawberry cake