Fluffy Vegan Strawberry Frosting (With Real Strawberries!)
This quick vegan strawberry frosting is naturally colored (and flavored!) with real strawberries, and is so easy to make!! Naturally dairy free, and perfect for frosting cakes, cupcakes, cookie bars, and more!
The most perfect strawberry buttercream frosting- vegan and dairy free!
Vegan buttercream is honestly one of the most magical creations of vegan desserts these days. It truly tastes AS GOOD AS (I think even better) than traditional dairy buttercream frostings, and it’s just so easy to make.
This vegan strawberry frosting is an ode to any spring dessert that you need. It’s a beautiful cross between my classic vegan vanilla buttercream and vegan cream cheese frosting, with loads of REAL strawberries for both the beautifully vibrant pink color and strong strawberry flavor.
You only need 6 simple ingredients, and trust me- NO split frostings. This is because we’re using freeze dried strawberries (but there is an option for using strawberry preserves, like in my blueberry frosting!) and combining it with a touch of heavy vegan dairy free milk to yield the most lush and creamy strawberry frosting.
And don’t think you just need to use this strawberry frosting for strawberry cake- I have TONS of ideas for how to incorporate this strawberry frosting into any fruit and spring recipe. You can even pipe it in tandem with my peanut butter frosting for a PB&J style cupcake or cake!
You’re just going to LOVE it!
6 Simple & Easy Ingredients Needed:
- Vegan butter: I recommend using salted vegan butter here- the additional salt will help to balance the sweetness!
- Vegan cream cheese: I personally LOVE a strawberry and cream cheese flavor. If you don’t want the cream cheese, simply swap in more vegan butter.
- Freeze dried strawberries: To incorporate into our vegan strawberry frosting, you’ll blitz these into a fine powder. If it’s a little clumpy, no problem- I actually think that makes a delicious texture!
- Powdered sugar: I recommend a high quality powdered sugar, like Florida Crystals. It’s naturally vegan and tastes LOVELY (also no cornstarch!). I buy mine at Publix.
- Vanilla extract: To balance out the strawberry!
- Heavy dairy free milk: I like using a heavy vegan cream (such as Silk or Country Crock’s plant cream), but you can also use soy milk or almond milk!
How to make vegan strawberry frosting step by step photos:
Can I use strawberry preserves instead?
If you can’t find freeze dried strawberries (usually they’re in the dried fruit and nuts section of any grocery store!), you can make a similar frosting to my blueberry frosting. Simply swap out the blueberry preserves for strawberry preserves instead!
How many cups of strawberry frosting does this recipe make?
About 8 cups of frosting- enough to frost a two layer 8″ cake or a three layer 6″ cake!
What recipes can I use this vegan strawberry frosting with?
I of course love my vegan strawberry cake and vegan strawberry cupcakes with this frosting. However, here are a few more of my favorite ideas!
- Vegan vanilla cake
- Use half of the recipe on my small chocolate cake or small vanilla cake
- Easy vegan chocolate cake
- Lemon pound cake
- Vegan sugar cookie bars
- Small batch lemon blueberry cinnamon rolls
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Lemon poppy seed cake
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
- 1 cup (226 g) salted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 (113 g) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 4–5 cups (480–600 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 ounce (one 23g package) freeze dried strawberries
- 3–4 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Prep: Make sure that you’ve brought the butter and cream cheese to room temperature. Please read through the blog post on this- it shouldn’t take more than 1.5-2 hours!
- Blitz the strawberries: In a food processor, blend the strawberries until they reach a powder.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together: In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and cream cheese.
- Finish the frosting: Add in the strawberries, and mix until incorporated. Then add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, along with the dairy free milk to help achieve that fluffy texture, mixing in between intervals. Once you reach a fluffy and light texture (be careful not to add in too much milk too soon- it’s okay if you only need 1-2 tbsp!), add in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Use in your recipe! Frost your vegan strawberry cake, vegan strawberry cupcakes, or even another cake recipe, like a vegan chocolate cake or vanilla cake! Enjoy 🙂
Please read blog post for full tips and tricks!
Keywords: vegan strawberry frosting, dairy free strawberry frosting, vegan strawberry buttercream