This light and fluffy one bowl pistachio cake is made with just 6 simple ingredients and loaded with nutty and sweet roasted pistachios. Topped with a pistachio cream cheese frosting for the most perfectly moist cake with a tender crumb!
Vegan Pistachio Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups (300 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted vegan butter (I recommend Miyoko’s or Flora Plant butter), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup (240 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups (170 g) whole shelled salted pistachios
- 2 1/2 cups (315 g) all-purpose flour (or gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
Vegan Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan cream cheese, room tempearture
- 1/2 cup (113 g) pistachio butter*
- 4 cups (450 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios, for decoration
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a 9×13 cake pan with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients. Prep the vegan buttermilk if you haven’t already.
- Blend the pistachios: In a large food processor, process the pistachios into a crumbly flour, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the batter: Whisk together the melted vegan butter, sugar, dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Then add in the pistachio flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda while also pouring in the vegan buttermilk. Whisk JUST until the dry ingredients are integrated into the wet ingredients.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove the cake from the oven, and allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the vegan pistachio cream cheese frosting: Once the cake is fully cooled, you can make the frosting. Cream together the vegan butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Add in the pistachio butter and vanilla extract, and mix together until completely combined, stopping to scrape down the bottom as necessary. Then add in the powdered sugar in 1 cup increments, scraping the bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Frost and decorate: Spread the cream cheese frosting onto the cooled cake, and decorate. Slice and serve!
Pistachio butter: If you can’t find pistachio butter in store, you can make it at home in your food processor. Simply roast 2 cups of shelled pistachios at 350F for 5 minutes. Then blend them in your food processor for about 10-12 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape the grounds down.
Keywords: vegan pistachio cake, pistachio cake, gluten free pistachio cake, pistachio sheet cake