Fluffy & Moist Vegan Pistachio Cake (One Bowl! Easy!)
This light and fluffy one bowl pistachio cake is made with just 6 simple ingredients in 7 steps, and loaded with nutty and sweet roasted pistachios. Topped with a pistachio cream cheese frosting for the most perfectly moist cake with a tender crumb!
Let’s talk about this unbelievably delicious vegan pistachio cake:
If you’re a pistachio lover, then you must try this unbelievably vegan pistachio cake. Seriously, you’d never know it’s vegan, dairy free, and made entirely without eggs.
It’s truly magic.
This pistachio cake is one bowl and only made with 6 simple ingredients. No artificial flavors, not even any food coloring. We’re relying on the natural green and yellow hue of pistachios to give it that lovely bright green color, and the flavor is unimaginable.
Just sweet enough with a hint of saltiness from the pistachios, and that deliciously buttery nuttiness throughout. Plus, topped with the lush pistachio cream cheese frosting (all dairy free by the way- though you’d never know!), this soft and fluffy pistachio sheet cake tastes like a slice of heaven.
Just buttery sweet with subtle notes of vanilla and a whole lot of real pistachio. As a vegan pistachio cake should be!
Simple Pantry Ingredients:
- Salted pistachios: We’re completely omitting the salt in the recipe to account for the salt in the pistachios. Since it’s very hard to find unsalted pistachios that are shelled (at least I’ve found!), I’ve created this recipe to account for the salt in the pistachios. You can use lightly salted pistachios if you’d like! We’ll also use the pistachios to make pistachio butter.
- Almond extract: Most pistachio-flavored desserts actually get their flavor from almonds (think pistachio ice cream or my vegan chocolate pistachio muffins in my cookbook!). However, we’re just using a touch to help enhance the natural nutty and delicious flavor of pistachios! You can actually just omit all together if you are having a hard time finding it or have everything you need BUT the extract. The pistachios will really shine through still!
- Vegan butter: I recommend Miyoko’s or Violife vegan butter here.
- Dairy free yogurt: This is our vegan egg substitute. I LOVE how yogurt acts in cake and cookie recipes as an egg replacement. It’s truly 1:1 and you’d never know the difference in texture. I love using Forager Project unsweetened cashew milk yogurt, but you can use your favorite!
- Vegan buttermilk: Don’t worry- you don’t have to run to the store for this ingredient! You’ll simply combine your favorite dairy free milk (I recommend soy milk or almond milk, but you can use coconut milk or oat milk) with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to create that curdle. The measurements are down below in the recipe card.
- Flour: You can either make this pistachio cake with all purpose flour or with gluten free 1:1 baking flour. If you’re making it gluten free, I personally recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. If you’re not using this one, please make sure your mix includes xanthan gum!
- Sugar: I love using Florida Crystals sugar here because it’s 100% vegan and organic. And you can really taste the difference!
How to make pistachio flour and pistachio butter:
The key to this vegan pistachio cake is in the homemade pistachio flour (and pistachio butter!). The pistachio flour will be integrated into the cake batter, whereas the pistachio butter will be mixed into the cream cheese frosting.
Both, however, will be made in a food processor! Of course, if you can find pistachio butter in stores, you can absolutely just purchase a jar (it’s very hard to find where I am, so I just make it at home!).
But to make the pistachio flour, you’ll simply grind the unshelled pistachios in a food processor for a minute or two.
Step by Step How To Make a Vegan Pistachio Cake:
Can I make this into a layered pistachio cake?
Absolutely! This pistachio cake batter will yield about two 8″ cake layers or three 6″ cake layers. You will need to make 1.5x the frosting in order to frost a two layer 8″ cake.
You could also make cupcakes from this vegan pistachio cake batter as well! You’ll yield about 24 cupcakes.
Topping & decoration ideas:
I really wanted to keep this vegan pistachio sheet cake super simple, so I simply used crushed pistachios to top 🙂 Here are a few more ideas!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
This light and fluffy one bowl pistachio cake is made with just 6 simple ingredients and loaded with nutty and sweet roasted pistachios. Topped with a pistachio cream cheese frosting for the most perfectly moist cake with a tender crumb!
Vegan Pistachio Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups (300 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted vegan butter (I recommend Miyoko’s or Flora Plant butter), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup (240 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups (170 g) whole shelled salted pistachios
- 2 1/2 cups (315 g) all-purpose flour (or gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
Vegan Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan cream cheese, room tempearture
- 1/2 cup (113 g) pistachio butter*
- 4 cups (450 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios, for decoration
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a 9×13 cake pan with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients. Prep the vegan buttermilk if you haven’t already.
- Blend the pistachios: In a large food processor, process the pistachios into a crumbly flour, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the batter: Whisk together the melted vegan butter, sugar, dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Then add in the pistachio flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda while also pouring in the vegan buttermilk. Whisk JUST until the dry ingredients are integrated into the wet ingredients.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove the cake from the oven, and allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the vegan pistachio cream cheese frosting: Once the cake is fully cooled, you can make the frosting. Cream together the vegan butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Add in the pistachio butter and vanilla extract, and mix together until completely combined, stopping to scrape down the bottom as necessary. Then add in the powdered sugar in 1 cup increments, scraping the bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Frost and decorate: Spread the cream cheese frosting onto the cooled cake, and decorate. Slice and serve!
Pistachio butter: If you can’t find pistachio butter in store, you can make it at home in your food processor. Simply roast 2 cups of shelled pistachios at 350F for 5 minutes. Then blend them in your food processor for about 10-12 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape the grounds down.
Keywords: vegan pistachio cake, pistachio cake, gluten free pistachio cake, pistachio sheet cake