This rich and velvety vegan red velvet cake with dairy free cream cheese frosting is the ultimate vegan cake recipe! The perfect balance of cocoa and sweetness with a slight tang, this red velvet cake will be your favorite, vegan or not! Naturally dairy free and gluten free!
- 1 1/4 cup (300 g) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour or 1-to-1 gluten free flour with 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz vegan red food coloring or 2 tbsp beet powder
- 1 batch vegan cream cheese frosting
- Read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and grease three 6″ cake pans or two 8″ cake pans with olive or coconut oil. Line with parchment paper and set aside. Add the apple cider vinegar to unsweetened dairy free milk and set aside to curdle for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl, cream the vegan butter for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. Add in the sugar, and continue mixing until the sugar is almost dissolved into the butter. Then add in the applesauce, vanilla, and red food coloring. Mix on medium speed until combined. Add in the flour mixture and vegan buttermilk in increments of two, mixing until the flour is JUST integrated into the wet ingredients.
- Bake the cakes: Divide batter evenly amongst the cake pans. Place cake pans into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes: Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a drying rack to cool completely before frosting.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- When ready to frost the cakes, make sure that each cake layer is leveled using a knife.
- Add vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to a large bowl and beat together with a hand mixer.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream.
- Add in vanilla and continue to beat until desired texture.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
Food coloring options:
- Wilton Food Coloring Gels
- Whole Foods Plant Based Food Coloring
- Suncore Food Beet Powder
If using coconut sugar: your cake will look more tan/brown than red, even with using the vegan food coloring, but it will still taste delicious!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 392
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 449.5 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.5 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan red velvet cake, vegan red velvet cake recipe, red velvet cake recipe, vegan red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting