This soft and plush small vanilla cake recipe is based off of my award winning vegan vanilla cake! NO eggs, just one bowl, and one layer with the moist moist & tender crumb!
- 1/3 cup (100 mL) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (74 g) salted vegan butter (I recommend Miyoko’s or Flora Plant butter), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour (or gluten free 1:1 baking flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 batch vegan cream cheese frosting
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a 6″ cake pan with parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients. Prep the vegan buttermilk.
- Make the batter: Whisk together the melted vegan butter, dairy free yogurt, sugar, vanilla extract, and sea salt together in a medium bowl. Add in the flour, baking powder and baking soda, along with the vegan buttermilk, and whisk JUST until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Be careful not to over mix here!
- Bake: Pour the cake batter into the 6″ cake pan, and bake for 35-37 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs on top. The top of the cake should be lightly golden, and bounce back at the touch.
- Cool: Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in its pan for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer the cake to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- When ready to frost: Prepare the vegan cream cheese frosting according to instructions. Then scoop the frosting onto the top of the cake and spread around with a spoon. Top with sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy! Slice, serve and enjoy your perfect small vanilla cake!
- Storage: See blog post for all storing details!
Gluten free: Swap in your favorite gluten free 1:1 baking flour- I use King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour!
Frosting options: See the blog post for all frosting options if you don’t want to use vegan cream cheese frosting!
Sprinkles: I used a combination of Go Supernatural! and India Tree here.
Keywords: small vanilla cake recipe, small vanilla cake, small vegan cake, vegan vanilla cake, mini vanilla cake, mini cake