The ultimate healthy vegan apple pie recipe is unbelievably easy to make. Naturally dairy free, no sugar added apple pie filling, and easily gluten-free! Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized gooey cinnamon apples, you’ll never know this vegan apple pie is secretly healthier!
Healthy Apple Pie Crust:
Apple Pie Filling:
- 7–9 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
Vegan “Egg Wash”
- 2 tbsp dairy free cream (such as coconut cream or soy milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- First prepare the pie crust. Double the recipe and follow the directions listed in the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust recipe card, completely step 4. The only change you’ll need to make is when making the dough into a disk, separate it into 2 disks (one for the bottom crust, one for the top). Chill the disks for 30 minutes.
- Continue on to follow step 5 through 7 with only 1 disk, rolling it out to be the bottom crust. Once the crust is in the pie dish, refrigerate the pie crust again, and proceed on with making the apple pie filling.
- Apple pie filling: Combine the thinly sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and spices until evenly coated.
- Remove the pie dish and the second disk from the fridge. Pour the apple filling into the pie dish, arranging the apples so that they’re laying flat. Add in the tbsp vegan butter/coconut oil in cubes on top of the apples. Set aside.
- Make the lattice crust according to the Flaky Vegan Pie Crust steps in the Notes section (starting at Step 3). To make the lattice, measure 10″ in length (if using a 10″ pie dish) and 1-1.5″ in width for each strip of the lattice. Measure out 8-12 strips, depending on how many you want to go across each side. Drape half of the strips in one direction over the pie. Do not seal off the lattice yet. Now begin to weave the other strips going the opposite direction, lifting up every other strip to cover the opposite strip. Repeat for any remaining dough, alternating between which strips are folded and unfolded. Cut the loose ends of the strips, and gently tuck them underneath and into the first (bottom) pie crust.
- Whisk together the coconut oil and maple syrup for the vegan “egg wash” and brush the pie crust. Sprinkle with coconut or raw sugar.
- Refrigerate the pie for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 425F.
- When the oven is ready, place a pie onto a baking sheet, cover the crust fully with tinfoil, and into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350F, and remove the tinfoil and bake for another 45 minutes.
- When the crust is golden and the filling is soft, remove from the oven and let cool for 1-2 hours to set before slicing into it.
- Serve with homemade cashew milk ice cream or Paleo vegan ice cream and enjoy!
Gluten free: Use either gluten free 1:1 baking flour in the pie crust recipe or try this vegan oat flour pie crust! It works wonderfully!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 353 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: healthy apple pie, gluten free apple pie, vegan apple pie, homemade apple pie