The ultimate healthy apple pie recipe that’s topped with a flaky crust and caramelized cinnamon apples. You’ll never know this apple pie filling has no sugar added! Perfect for adults and kids alike!
Healthy Apple Pie Crust:
- 2 3/4 cups gluten free 1-to-1 flour, or all-purpose flour or my cassava flour crust
- 1 cup cold vegan butter or coconut oil, cubed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 6–8 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt
Apple Pie Filling:
- 9 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp cassava or tapioca flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil wash
- 1 tbsp raw sugar or coconut sugar
- First prepare the pie crust. Start by pulsing together the flour, sea salt, and cubed vegan butter or coconut oil in a large food processor. The texture should be very crumbly.
- Add in the maple syrup and 3 tablespoons of water at first.
- Pulse until well combined, continuing to add in the remaining tablespoons of chilled water until you have a pie dough.
- Press the pie dough together into a large ball using your hands and then divide into two.
- Shape each pie dough ball into a semi-flat spherical disk and wrap each one with parchment paper to chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Next, prepare the apple pie filling. Combine the thinly sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, cassava flour, vanilla extract, and spices until evenly coated. Set aside.
- When your dough is ready to roll, grease a 9″x2″ pie dish (or deep pie dish), remove one pie crust from the fridge, and roll out to be about 12 inches in diameter.
- Place the rolled out crust gently onto the pie dish and press the dough lightly into the sides to make sure everything is even.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the crust and slice 1 tablespoon of butter into tiny cubes to dot around the pie.
- Prepare the next pie dough by removing it from the fridge. You can either make a lattice crust here, like I did, or roll the dough out to be 12 inches in diameter again, place the dough on top of the filling, and slice little cuts into the top to create vents.
- Alternatively, if you’d like to make a lattice, roll the dough into a 12 inch diameter circle, and use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into 12 1-inch strips.
- Place 6 strips over the pie crust in one direction. Gently fold back 3 strips, alternating between each one. Place 1 new strip over the 3 strips that are not folded back, then gently place back the folded strips.
- Next, fold back the 3 strips that were not originally folded. Place one of the remaining unused strips over the non-folded strips. Place back the folded strips over the new strip of dough. Repeat for the remaining dough, alternating between which strips are folded and unfolded.
- Regardless of how you chose to create your top pie crust, brush the pie crust with melted vegan butter or coconut oil, and sprinkle with coconut or raw sugar.
- Refrigerate the pie for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 400F.
- When the oven is ready, place a pie onto a baking sheet and into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperate to 375F to bake for 45 minutes.
- When the crust is golden and the filling is soft, remove from the oven and let cool for 3 hours to set before slicing into it.
- Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie, healthy apple pie, gluten free apple pie, vegan apple pie