These quick and easy vegan vanilla cupcakes are made with just 9 pantry ingredients and in one bowl for the fluffiest and most tender vanilla cupcake ever. Based on my award-winning vegan vanilla cake recipe, you’ll think these vegan cupcakes came from a bakery!
*Please note! The recipe has been further improved from the time the video was released! The written recipe is the latest adaptation. Enjoy!
*Second note: If you’re a fan of the original recipe, please find it posted right below the recipe card! Enjoy!
- 1 cup (240 mL) vegan buttermilk , room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (130 g) neutral cooking oil or vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract + 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla bean paste
- 1 3/4 cup (230 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 batch vegan vanilla buttercream or vegan cream cheese frosting
- Read through the instructions before beginning, and make sure to measure out all ingredients.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12 cup-cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Prepare the vegan buttermilk by whisking together the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Make the cupcake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, and vanilla extract with the paste. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk until JUST combined as you pour in the vegan buttermilk. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Bake the cupcakes: Use a large cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop or a spoon to fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 of the way full. Place the cupcake tin into the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. Another way to test this is the tops of the cupcakes should be lightly golden and the cupcake should spring back at a light touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely before making the vegan buttercream frosting.
- Make the vegan buttercream: When ready to frost, creamy the vegan butter until thick fluffy, and lighter in color; then sift in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, while beating the frosting. Add in 1-2 tbsp of dairy free milk to help the buttercream become more moveable rather than thick. Add in the vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes: Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with frosting tip, and frost each cupcake. Alternatively, you can smear the frosting on with a butter knife. Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired and enjoy!
- Storage: Store any uneaten cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze these cupcakes unfrosted for up to 1 month.
Gluten free: I like to use King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour (it’s the one that contains xanthan gum). Highly recommend! You can use the gram or weighted measurements for that. It’s 1:1 on both.
Sugar: You can use coconut sugar in place of granulate sugar, just note that the cupcakes will be slightly darker in color, but still delicious! I recommend using Florida Crystals Sugar for a vegan granulated sugar.
Make ahead: To make one day ahead, prep the cupcakes by following steps 1-5 the day before. The next day, allow the vegan butter to come to room temperature and follow the remaining steps.
Please read through the blog post for all cupcake tips & tricks!
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake with frosting
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 36.6 g
- Sodium: 274.3 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.4 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan vanilla cupcakes, gluten free vanilla cupcakes, healthy cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, vegan cupcake frosting