My family’s favorite vegan mushroom risotto recipe made in an Instant Pot! This creamy mushroom risotto is entirely dairy free, vegan, and made with farro for a twist on a classic Italian dish!
Instant Pot mushroom risotto ingredients
My Sicilian grandma shared with me our family’s risotto recipe, which I decided needed a vegan upgrade!
It has all of the classic and nostalgic flavors of creamy mushroom risotto, only made entirely dairy free and vegan (with an option for gluten free!). I also decided to alter the recipe even more: we’re going to be making it in an Instant Pot!
But if you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry- there is an option for not using an Instant Pot!
The ingredients you need for this vegan mushroom risotto are as follows:
- Farro: this might sound odd- a farro risotto? I personally love farro more than arborio rice, but if you want a really and truly classic risotto, use arborio rice. This then means it’s also gluten free (as farro contains gluten while arborio rice does not!).
- White wine: just a little bit of white wine really adds depth of flavor. I recommend Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Vegetable broth: you can use store bought or make your own.
- Olive oil
- Vegan butter: to keep it nut free or less processed, you can use coconut oil. To avoid a coconut flavor, use refined coconut oil.
- Vegan cheese: I recommend either So Delicious cashew cheese or Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan.
- Nutritional yeast: just for a bit of added cheesy flavor!
How to make vegan mushroom risotto in an Instant Pot
The full measurements and instructions for this easy mushroom risotto are found down below in the recipe card. However, let’s go over the key steps here!
Sauté the mushrooms and shallots
You’ll first begin by sautéing the mushrooms and shallots together. Once the mushrooms have cooked, you’ll add in the farro or rice, and lightly toast.
Next, add in the wine to deglaze the pot, and let this simmer until it evaporates.
Add in the broth, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast
This next step is where we get to turn on the Instant Pot!
Add the vegetable broth, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast to the Instant Pot, and secure the lid.
Turn the Instant Pot on to “Pressure Cook,” then “Custom.” Select a cook time of 5 minutes, and press start.
Allow the Instant Pot to cook the risotto until it reaches the “Keep Warm” phase. Then you’ll just allow the risotto to stay in that phase, lid secured, for 10-12 minutes. This helps any leftover liquid be absorbed.
Stir in the vegan cheese
Next up, you’ll carefully release the pressure from the Instant Pot using the pressure valve. Once all of the pressure has been released, carefully remove the lid.
Stir in the vegan cheese and the saffron threads here. Keep stirring until all of the cheese has melted and the risotto has become super creamy.
Now you’re ready to serve!
How to make vegan risotto without an Instant Pot
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, not to worry- you can still make this vegan risotto recipe the old fashioned way (it’s not really the old fashioned way, but my grandma makes fun of me for my “new gadgets” haha!).
Simply follow the directions for sautéing the mushrooms and shallots together, but in a sauce pan. Add in the rice or farro and the wine to lightly toast the grain. Once the wine has evaporated, remove from heat.
Then add the vegetable broth, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast to a large pot. Carefully add in the rice and mushroom mixture and turn the heat to medium-low, and cook the rice until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in the vegan cheese and saffron until it’s entirely melted. Then serve!
What to serve with vegan mushroom risotto
I personally love serving this vegan mushroom risotto with a mixed salad and a plant based protein, such as lentils or mung beans.
You can also pair this Instant Pot risotto with maple glazed roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
This vegan mushroom risotto makes a wonderful Christmas eve or Christmas day dinner or even a Thanksgiving dinner side!
It also makes a great date night meal or Valentine’s Day dinner 🙂
Prep this Instant Pot vegan risotto at the beginning of the week, and you’ll have a fantastic cozy comfort dinner all week long!
I hope you love this vegan mushroom risotto recipe as much as I do! If you make it, let me know down below in the comments section.
Happy vegan risotto cooking!
More vegan dinner recipes
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make something from The Banana Diaries, I would love to see your creations! Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below! Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan recipe inspiration!Print
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto (Instant Pot!)
My family’s favorite vegan mushroom risotto recipe made in an Instant Pot! This creamy mushroom risotto is entirely dairy free, vegan, and made with farro for a twist on a classic Italian dish! Perfect for Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas dinner, or even a vegan Thanksgiving! Make it entirely gluten free too!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp diced shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 8 ounces farro (or arborio rice for gluten free)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1/3 cup white wine, room temperature
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the “Saute” mode. Set it to 5 minutes and medium heat.
- Add the olive oil to the pot, followed by the sliced mushrooms and diced shallots. Lightly sauté the mushrooms and shallots together until the mushrooms are cooked through and the shallots are translucent.
- While the Instant Pot is still on sauté mode, add in the farro and sea salt to the pot and lightly toast the farro with the mushrooms and shallots for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the white wine to deglaze the pot. Let the white wine simmer until it’s fully evaporated (about 2-3 minutes).
- Turn the Instant Pot off and carefully pour the the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and vegan butter into the pot. Stir until everything is mixed, and then secure the lid of the Instant Pot on top. Make sure that the pressure valve is completely closed, and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook and custom. Select 5 minutes and press start.
- Allow the the Instant Pot to cook the risotto until the cook time is complete. Then allow the Instant Pot before releasing the pressure.
- After the risotto has been kept warm for 10-12 minutes, carefully release the pressure valve on top first, then once all of the pressure has been released, carefully remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheese and saffron threads, and continue to stir until the cheese fully melts and becomes super creamy.
- Serve the risotto with chopped parsley, thyme, more veggies or as is! Enjoy!
Gluten free: use arborio rice, which is traditionally used in risotto, for a gluten free vegan risotto
Dairy free cheese options: I recommend So Delicious cashew cheese or Follow Your Heart dairy free parmesan shredded cheese. However, for a nut-free option, you can stir in my vegan cauliflower cheese from the vegan Alfredo recipe.
Saffron: if you don’t have saffron, you can omit, but it truly makes this dish special.
Stove Top option:
- Follow the directions for sautéing the mushrooms and shallots together, but in a sauce pan. Add in the rice or farro and the wine to lightly toast the grain. Once the wine has evaporated, remove from heat.
- Then add the vegetable broth, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast to a large pot. Carefully add in the rice and mushroom mixture and turn the heat to medium-low, and cook the rice until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the vegan cheese and saffron until it’s entirely melted. Then serve!
Keywords: vegan mushroom risotto, vegan risotto recipe, vegan risotto, instant pot mushroom risotto, instant pot risotto