EASY Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup – NO coconut milk!
This rich and flavorful vegan cream of mushroom soup is loaded with fresh herbs and tender mushrooms, and is SO easy to make- no blender required! Only 10 simple ingredients and NO coconut milk. This mushroom soup is so easy and so flavorful, you won’t believe it’s vegan and dairy free!
Why this will be your new favorite vegan mushroom soup:
Let me tell you about your new favorite vegan soup recipe: creamy and silky vegan mushroom soup.
It’s essentially cream of mushroom soup, but dairy-free and unbelievably so. Thick and satiating, like my vegan gnocchi soup and vegetable stew, with a robust flavor that will leave even the non-vegans speechless.
This dish comes together in just 30 minutes if needed (though cooking it longer will only deepen the flavor). And it’s deliciously satisfying with a piece of focaccia or homemade bread.
The best part is that we’re not even using any coconut milk to thicken it- nor cashews either, just like my easy vegan sweet potato soup!
To keep the flavor truly focused on the rich mushrooms and vibrant herbs, we’re using oat milk instead- along with making a roux to keep this vegan mushroom soup velvety and creamy (all without a blender!).
This mushroom soup recipe is the perfect holiday meal or cozy winter night dish to keep you warm and toasty! Trust me, you won’t have any leftovers!
The only 10 ingredients you need:
- Olive oil: You can use any cooking oil, but I find olive oil or vegan butter yields the best flavor.
- Mushrooms: This is the fun part- any variety of mushrooms will do, and your vegan mushroom soup will taste even better WITH a variety of mushrooms- shiitake, enoki, cremini, portobello, morel, oyster, and king trumpet are a few of my favorites. I usually stop by the mushroom stand at my local farmer’s market every Saturday, and pick up our mushrooms there because he has such a wonderful variety! The baby Bella mushrooms also work, just make sure they look good! We’ll go over how to properly clean your mushrooms in the next section.
- Thyme: You can also add in rosemary and sage, but I thought the thyme was enough to pack in a ton of flavor while also keeping the ingredients list simple.
Garlic & onion: To help enhance the flavor of the mushrooms! I also add in a shallot occasionally- totally optional but if you have one on hand, you totally can.
- White wine vinegar: This replaces the dry white wine often called for in traditional cream of mushroom soup. You can still use the same amount in white wine, but if you’re participating in dry January, using vinegar mixed with water is a great substitute for wine in cooking.
- Vegetable broth: You can use homemade veggie broth or store bought- either works!
- Oat milk: Yep, oat milk is enough to make this vegan mushroom soup super creamy and lush, while also keeping it free from full-fat coconut milk or even almond milk! You can definitely substitute in those, or even use cashew cream as well. But for those with nut allergies and coconut allergies, oat milk is a fantastic substitute.
- Coconut aminos: For added umami, you can also substitute in soy sauce or miso paste.
How to properly clean your mushrooms:
Whether you’re getting the classic white button mushrooms at the grocery store or portobello mushrooms at your farmer’s market, you’ll still need to clean your mushrooms thoroughly. BUT the trick is not rinsing them under water.
Because mushrooms are porous, they’ll absorb the water, which will come out in your soup. The best way to clean mushrooms is taking a clean damp dish towel and rubbing each mushroom individually to remove the dirt.
Overview: step by step how to make mushroom soup:
- Use roasted mushrooms: Simply drizzle your clean mushrooms in olive oil and place them on a parchment sheet-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 375F. Then add to the soup as usual.
- Stir in cannellini beans: For some extra satiety, add in 10 ounces of cannellini beans or chickpeas like in my Tuscan white bean soup.
- Serve with brown rice or wild rice: Add cooked rice to the soup for more staying power. Farro is also another great grain, but does contain gluten (in case you need to watch out for gluten!).
- Switch up the herbs: Add in basil, oregano, parsley, or rosemary and sage as well. You can also add in miso paste for a stronger umami flavor.
- Add in some dried porcini mushrooms: This will really increase the depth of flavor!
Can I make this soup gluten free?
Absolutely! I use King Arthur measure for measure gluten free flour when I want to make this vegan mushroom soup recipe gluten free.
You can also use einkorn flour, but keep in mind that einkorn is low gluten NOT gluten-free.EASY Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup – NO coconut milk!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
This rich and flavorful vegan cream of mushroom soup is loaded with fresh herbs and tender mushrooms! Only 10 simple ingredients and NO coconut milk- so easy!!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced*
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, any variety
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar*
- 4 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup oat milk*
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos*
- Sea salt + pepper, taste
- Toppings: more fresh thyme and chopped parsley
- Prep: Clean the mushrooms thoroughly by rubbing them with a damp cloth. Then slice them into smaller pieces. Dice and mince the vegetables.
- Sauce: In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat, and add in the onions, shallot, and minced garlic. Sauce until the onions are translucent and the garlic is lightly browned.
- Cook the mushrooms: Add in the mushrooms and thyme, lightly saute for 2-3 minutes, and cover on medium-low heat. Allow the mushrooms to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add in the flour, and toss to coat the mushrooms evenly in the flour. Pour in the white wine vinegar and water, and toss lightly.
- Add in the broth: Pour in the vegetable broth, oat milk, and coconut aminos (along with salt and pepper to taste) and stir. Then bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover. Let the soup cooke for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
- Serve: Once thickened, scoop the mushroom soup into bowls and serve. Top with chopped parsley and thyme, freshly cracked black pepper and enjoy!
Shallot: This is optional, as we have the onion, but adds nice flavor!
White wine vinegar: You can also use apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar. Alternatively, you can skip the vinegar and water all together, and add in 1/2 cup white wine.
Gluten free: Swap in a gluten free blend meant to replace all purpose flour and one that contains xanthan gum, as this will thicken properly. I recommend King Arthur measure for measure baking flour. I also like to use einkorn flour, but it is NOT gluten-free (just low gluten).
Oat milk: You can also use cashew cream, cashew milk, or almond milk.
Coconut aminos: You can also use soy sauce or if you’re gluten-free, tamari. I also like using miso paste as well!
Add in beans: For an even heartier soup, stir in 10 ounces of cannellini beans or chickpeas.
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, vegan cream of mushroom soup, dairy free cream of mushroom soup, dairy free mushroom soup, easy mushroom soup, recipe