Easy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe With Beans – NO Coconut milk!
This silky smooth sweet potato soup recipe is loaded with flavorful herbs and veggies, and blends SO creamy- all without coconut milk! No dairy & naturally vegan, this velvety sweet potato soup is perfectly rich and filling for a chilly day!
The winter weeknight soup recipe on repeat:
With soup season in full swing, we’ve been making at least one soup a week- my vegan tortellini soup, vegan gnocchi soup, and vegan lasagna soup have been on repeat lately (can’t forget about my unbelievably filling veggie stew either).
Along with this unbelievably easy and delicious creamy sweet potato soup.
It’s the definition of silky and velvety, and all made creamy without any heavy cream (nor coconut milk! Just like my vegan mushroom soup and 30 minute butternut squash soup!). That’s right- the secret to this sweet potato soup is actually cannellini beans.
Blended together into the smoothest liquid, this golden orange soup is packed with flavor from onions, garlic, and fresh herbs.
Perfect to brighten up any chilly day!
- Sweet potatoes: The star of the show! You’ll need 3 large sweet potatoes- it’s not necessary to remove the skin, but you can if you’d like!
- Onion & garlic: I also added in a shallot- you can omit!
- Carrots & celery: For extra flavor!
- Herbs & spices: I really like rosemary, thyme, and sage here, along with cumin. Feel free to add in fresh ginger and cinnamon instead of the herbs.
- Cannellini beans: Like with my vegan queso, the beans provide the creamy texture when blended, along with making this soup way more satiating and nourishing!
- Veggie broth: Instead of chicken broth, which is sometimes used, we’re using a classic vegetable broth to keep this sweet potato soup naturally vegan as well! I make a big batch of homemade vegetable broth a few times a winter season and freeze the broth for use later on. You can also use store bought!
- Oat milk: Instead of coconut milk or even traditional heavy cream, we’re using oat milk to help enhance the creaminess of this soup. You can also sub in cashew cream or homemade almond milk.
- White wine vinegar: This provides a bit of acid for contrast to the creamy sweet potato, and really makes the flavor pop! You can also use apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or even a dry white wine.
What sweet potato type should I use?
Any of the orange varieties of sweet potatoes are great here for a classic creamy sweet potato soup- jewel and garnet are my favorite.
You can also use Okinawan sweet potatoes (Japanese sweet potatoes) swell!
Overview: Step by Step How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
For the full written instructions and ingredient measurements, see the bottom of this post in the recipe card. You can also hit the “jump to recipe” button at the top of this post! Here, we’ll go over a brief overview of the steps, along with providing visuals for a better understanding of the recipe.
How to blend sweet potato soup:
I recommend using an immersion blender, but you can also use a regular blender if you allow the soup to cool first before blending.
With the immersion blender, be careful not to scrape the bottom of your pot! The force of the blender creating a whirlpool in the soup can sometimes be really strong!
Alternatively, if you don’t want to blend, you can enjoy this soup as is- without blending!
Once blended and creamy, serve this sweet potato soup in a bowl and enjoy! I like to pair it with a homemade vegan grilled cheese using my vegan mozzarella or alongside roasted veggies, like roasted Brussels sprouts or roasted red cabbage.
Chopped nuts, like pistachios or almonds, alongside crispy shallots or croutons also gives this soup a much needed crunch- so yummy, you’re going to love it!!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
This silky smooth sweet potato soup recipe is loaded with flavorful herbs and veggies, and blends SO creamy- without coconut milk! Naturally dairy free and vegan, you’re going to be making this soup all winter long!
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 large sweet potatoes, rinsed and cubed
- 10 ounces cannellini beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar*
- 1 cup oat milk*
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- Prep: Make sure that the veggies and herbs are all prepped and ready.
- Saute: In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in the onions, shallot, and garlic, and sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic is lightly browned. Then add in the carrots, celery, and sweet potato, along with the rosemary, thyme, sage, and cumin. Continue to sauté for 5-7 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
- Cook: Pour in the cannellini beans, vegetable broth, white wine vinegar, and oat milk. Stir to combine, then bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer, and cover. Let the soup cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and fork tender. Add in sea salt and pepper to taste preference.
- Blend: Once the sweet potatoes are soft, you can use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. Alternatively, if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can either leave the soup as is and enjoy it unblended or remove the soup from heat and wait until the soup cools to blend in a kitchen top blender.
White wine vinegar: You can sub in apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar here. You can also even use dry white wine.
Oat milk sub: Use almond milk or cashew cream here. For an even richer soup, swap in vegan heavy cream.
Keywords: sweet potato soup, vegan sweet potato soup, dairy free