Easy and delicious vegan and Paleo sweet potato waffles that are made with only 4 simple ingredients and completely nut free, gluten free, and Whole30 compliant! Perfect for any weekend brunch or breakfast spread!
Get ready for the best and easiest Paleo sweet potato waffles you have ever tried! These waffles are my absolute favorite.
Fluffy and sweet, but still crisp on the outside, these Paleo waffles level up your breakfast game ten fold, and they’re an absolute crowd pleaser! Make these at your next brunch party or on a lazy Saturday morning, you won’t be sorry 🙂
Note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Banana Diaries!
Why I love these Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles
Well, for starters, who doesn’t love a waffle? Well, maybe you’re a pancake person, in which case, I have amazing Paleo sweet potato pancakes for you.
But, I’m guessing since you clicked on this recipe, you’re a waffle person through and through 😉 Don’t worry, you’re in good company, my friend!
These vegan sweet potato waffles are the epitome of fluffy and thick, just like a standard Belgium waffle, yet they’re entirely allergy friendly and Whole30 compliant.
These waffles are also completely nut free, dairy free, gluten free, have no added sugar!
This recipe was actually the first recipe to kickstart my obsession with using sweet potato in any sort of savory or baking dish! It’s so incredibly easy too- only a handful of ingredients, all whole and natural, and so quick and easy with little mess to clean up.
Making Whole30 Waffles: Ingredients
Sweet Potato: Yes, these are indeed sweet potato waffles made from mostly sweet potato! As you know, I just love using sweet potatoes in my recipes, and this recipe was actually the first one to kick off the obsession with using sweet potato! Oof, this recipe and I go way back 🙂 I talk about the best way to cook your sweet potato down below, so keep reading!
Flaxseed Eggs: If you aren’t doing vegan Paleo sweet potato waffles, just swap in 2 eggs for 2 flaxseed eggs!
Coconut Flour: This is how I keep these gluten free waffles completely nut-free! Coconut flour is a great addition here because we have a lot of moisture going on with the sweet potato, so just adding a little bit helps to soak up some extra moisture and holds the waffle all together! Personally, I wouldn’t recommend swapping in any other flour because I haven’t tested it myself so I can’t point you to the direct ratios to swap in. However, if you are out of coconut flour, I have tried these waffles (using a smaller sweet potato) without flour- sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t! The coconut flour is a guaranteed way for these sweet potato waffles to come out perfectly fluffy 🙂
Sea Salt & Cinnamon: Just a great flavor booster here! Everything tastes better with a little sea salt and cinnamon in it 🙂
Tips and Tricks for the best Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles
Now, there are a few tips and tricks that I have for making sure that these Paleo sweet potato waffles come out perfectly each and every time (and a few ways to eat them other than just breakfast!).
- How to bake your sweet potato: The first tip is making sure that your sweet potato is cooked correctly. I have a whole sweet potato guide on this topic because there are many ways to cook a sweet potato, but there’s only one way (in my opinion) that makes it taste really good. And no, it doesn’t not involve a microwave so please put that away haha! I highly recommend baking your sweet potato. It makes it infinitely sweeter (since we’re not adding any sugar to this recipe) and definitely makes for a fluffier waffle!
- Make sure to heat your waffle maker thoroughly: I’ve done this countless times before. Heating my waffle maker only to immediately pour batter into it the second the bell dings that it’s ready to go. Truth of the matter is that your waffle maker probably needs a few more seconds or minutes to continue heating before it’s truly ready for some sweet potato gluten free waffle batter to be poured onto it. So make sure just to give it a few extra seconds and then pour your batter into the waffle maker. This will help prevent the sweet potato waffles from breaking apart (or any waffle for that matter!).
- Let the flaxseed and water sit for 5-10 minutes to properly coagulate: if you just mix ground flaxseed and water together then immediately throw it into the batter, it won’t do anything! Let it rest for a few minutes before beginning your waffle process 🙂
- Top with whatever your heart desires! I recommend 100% chocolate chips, nut butter, coconut butter, extra cinnamon and sea salt, fresh fruit…it’s up to you!
These Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles are more than just breakfast
Don’t think that you can only have waffles for breakfast. I just love these Paleo sweet potato waffles on a weekend morning topped with some maple syrup and blueberries.
Or maybe some chocolate chips, banana, and peanut butter hehe!
But, these gluten free waffles are way more than just a breakfast meal! I love to make savory waffles with this recipe as a yummy lunch or dinner option!
Plus…have you ever had a waffle for dessert?! Because let me tell you friend, it’s pretty dang fantastic. I would highly recommend making one of these with a scoop of coconut ice cream on top- out of this world!
Sometimes, I actually enjoy switching up my breakfast routine throughout the week, so I’ll meal prep a few of these Paleo sweet potato waffles on a Sunday, freeze them and then heat them up in the oven whenever I want! I have a whole guide on meal prepping that you can download for free below 🙂
Let me know what you think, and happy waffling!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make something from The Banana Diaries, I would love to see your creations! Don’t forget tot rate this recipe and leave a comment below! Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan recipe inspiration!Print
Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles
Easy and delicious Paleo sweet potato waffles that are made with only 4 simple ingredients and completely nut free and gluten free with a vegan option! Perfect for any weekend brunch or breakfast spread!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 large (12-14 oz) sweet potato, baked, cooled, and skin removed
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed with 1/3 cup of water, or 3 eggs if not vegan
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Cinnamon + sea salt to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp baking soda
- Coconut oil for waffle maker
- Puree sweet potato in a food processor or mash it with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Add in flaxseed eggs, coconut flour, cinnamon, and sea salt, and puree/mash until completely combined.
- Heat waffle machine with coconut oil until ready.
- Pour half of batter into the waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker directions.
- Remove cooked waffle and place on plate. Repeat steps 3-5 for remaining batter.
- Top with favorite toppings and enjoy!
Keywords: sweet potato waffles, Paleo sweet potato waffles, vegan sweet potato waffles, whole30 waffles