These easy vegan apple pie overnight oats taste like you’re eating dessert for breakfast, but are secretly healthy, gluten free, and loaded with protein! Perfect for meal prep or a quick breakfast on the go!
Cozy vegan apple cinnamon overnight oats
I just love apple season, don’t you? It’s really my favorite time of year. Everything is ready to be harvested, the aroma outside turns slightly rustic, and everyone just looks so dang cute in their fall sweaters and jeans!
Mainly because autumn season = apple season, and I just love apples, especially a very popular fall dessert by the name of…apple pie a la mode.
It may not be acceptable to have a slice of apple pie a la mode for breakfast, but you can most definitely enjoy a batch of these healthy protein apple overnight oats, completely dairy free and refined sugar free!
These vegan apple overnight oats literally taste like having a big bowl of apple pie topped with a dollop of ice cream.
And yet they’re completely gluten free, dairy free, plant-based protein packed, low in sugar, and refined sugar free!
You know those apple spice oatmeal packets? Forget those packets, and just go for these- it’s just as easy, yet tastes a million bajillion times better, has the benefit of added protein, and doesn’t contain any processed flavoring.
We’re talking real, wholesome ingredients in a breakfast that can be prepped to serve you for several mornings (i.e. it’s a wonderful healthy breakfast recipe to meal prep!).
Apple Pie Overnight Oats Ingredients
What I just love about this bowl of apple pie oatmeal is that you get multiple meals and basically dessert for breakfast with the simplest ingredients.
All you need for these oats are:
- Organic oats (a given ha!): if you’re gluten free, just make sure that they’re certified!
- Homemade or store bought unsweetened applesauce (if going the homemade route, I walk you through that below!)
- Dairy free milk
- Dairy free yogurt (I personally like cashew yogurt here, but you can use any type!)
- Sea salt (a must)
That’s it! Really, the biggest items here are the oats, the apples, and the yogurt…the rest are just spices!
Pretty cool, huh?
How to make Vegan Apple Pie Overnight Oats
My favorite breakfast has to be overnight oats, and these apple overnight oats really hit home.
They’re perfect to meal prep on a Sunday so that you have a healthy breakfast all ready to go throughout the week or to just enjoy for a lot of people!
Vegan overnight oats are easy, delicious, and can be a great healthy breakfast option and easily customizable. Which is probably why you see so many overnight oats recipes on the inter webs ha!
But apple pie flavored overnight oats? Totally in a league of its own thanks to the homemade applesauce (yep, from fresh apples!), vanilla and a ton of cinnamon.
Tis the season!
How to make homemade applesauce
The key to these apple pie overnight oats is the applesauce.
Personally, I love making my own applesauce, which is quite easy!
To make your own applesauce that goes into the overnight oatmeal, begin by preheating the oven and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Brush each apple half with coconut oil and cinnamon, then bake them until they’re nice and soft!
Place the baked apples (with the skin on!) into a food processor or high powered blender and puree until smooth. I personally prefer the food processor here, as I find it makes a smoother sauce and breaks up the skin nicely, but you can use a good blender as well!
Now, we’ll put it all together for the best vegan overnight oats recipe!
How to make apple pie overnight oats
Keep in mind that this recipe makes multiple servings. If you would like to do single serve, see the notes section in the recipe card below.
You can use a large bowl here or a big container that is resealable, but you’ll definitely need some mixing room.
- Whisk together the oats, pea protein, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add in the dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, and your homemade applesauce, and combine everything until it’s all mixed together.
- Cover your overnight oatmeal and place them into the fridge to sit overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, scoop some oats out into a bowl or container, add in a little dairy free milk and stir. Then add in your favorite toppings!
Basically deconstructed apple pie in a bowl 😉 It’s pretty awesome!
Can you eat overnight oats after 2 hours?
Technically yes, these vegan overnight oats will be ready to consume after only 2 hours in the fridge.
However, I find the best consistency is when left overnight (I guess that’s why they call them overnight oats!). Plus, then all you need to do is make a batch before you go to sleep.
When you wake up, just top and go!
Tips for making the best vegan overnight oats
- Add in a little dairy free in the morning to get everything going. You want your oats to be moveable so that you can add in your toppings!
- Homemade Applesauce: the longer you bake your apples, the sweeter the apple pie overnight oats will be! I recommend 20 minutes, but if you want to do 5 extra minutes, that’s fine as well. The homemade applesauce will definitely taste the best in the fall, when the apples are ripe, but you can find ripe apples all year round.
- If you like maple syrup (like I do), add a little drizzle for extra sweetness and fall flavor!
- For toppings, I definitely recommend banana slices, sliced apples, pecans, walnuts, peanut butter, extra cinnamon, or even sliced almonds! I love my oats with a little crunch, so I always go for the crunchy options, and adding nuts or nut butter makes this a more rounded meal of healthy fats, carbs, and proteins!
- Don’t skip the (sea) salt! Sea salt is great because it not only enhances flavor, but it also adds in some trace minerals!
- Don’t use instant oats nor steel cut oats here– it won’t be as yummy or as fluffy! I like to use sprouted oats, but rolled oats are also great!
And that’s it! Pretty simple things to keep in mind for your homemade vegan apple oats 🙂
The most important part is just to enjoy them! Make them totally you- if you don’t want extra fruit on top, go for something else. Your bowl of oats, your blank canvas!
I hope you love these vegan apple pie overnight oats as much as I do! They’re just so incredibly easy to make, and taste so dang yummy!
Happy meal prepping!
More healthy oatmeal recipes:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make something from The Banana Diaries, I would love to see your creations! Make sure to leave a review in comments section, as well as giving it a rating so that others may find the recipe. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan recipe inspiration!Print
These easy apple pie overnight oats taste like you’re eating dessert for breakfast, but are secretly healthy, gluten free, and loaded with protein! Perfect for meal prep or a quick breakfast on the go!
- 2 medium apples, cored and sliced in half
- 1–2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Apple Pie Overnight Oats
- 1 1/2 cups organic sprouted or rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pea protein powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 batch homemade applesauce or 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 cup dairy-free yogurt
- Extra apples, cinnamon, and nut butter for toppings
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk to stir when ready to eat
- Prepare the baked apples first by preheating the oven to 375F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush each apple half with coconut oil and 1 tbsp cinnamon.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. When ready to puree, place the baked apples in a food processor or high powered blender and puree until it’s a smooth apple sauce (you can leave the skin on for extra nutrients). Set the applesauce aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, pea protein, remaining cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add in the pureed apples, dairy free yogurt, dairy free milk and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, add in 1-2 tbsp of dairy free milk to each serving of apple pie overnight oats and top with desired toppings.
For single serving vegan apple pie overnight oats:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 tbsp pea portein
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Follow the directions above and top as desired.
Keywords: apple overnight oats, apple pie overnight oats, vegan apple pie overnight oats, vegan overnight oats