The easiest instant pot zucchini oatmeal recipe made from rolled oats and packed with over 17 grams of vegan protein! The perfect quick healthy breakfast ready in under 3 minutes!
Is it zucchini bread or is it zucchini oatmeal disguised as zucchini bread? 😉 I kid you not, this oatmeal recipe literally tastes like you’re eating a thick bowl of zucchini bread (a highly yummy treat), and yet it’s packed with vegan protein, low sugar, and the perfect healthy breakfast recipe.
Plus, we’re making this zucchini oatmeal in an Instant Pot! I recently got one a few weeks ago (I know, I know, real late to the game here), and I’m absolutely obsessed. Like I don’t know what I was doing before this.
Instant Pots can do anything. Bake, sauté, cook, make applesauce, pasta, PROOF BREAD, I mean is there anything that they can’t do?!
I think not!
The Best Zucchini Oatmeal Recipe
This is truly the best zucchini oatmeal recipe for a few reasons. Not only is it packed with hidden veggies (a.k.a. the zucchini!), but it’s also full of warming spices, such as cinnamon.
It basically tastes like dessert in a bowl, and yet it’s an incredibly healthy oatmeal recipe because it contains over 17 grams of vegan protein, as well as being low in sugar, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Plus, this Instant Pot oatmeal recipe uses rolled oats. I know, I know, you might be questioning my sanity, but I’m of the belief that anything is possible, so I went to work, did some research, and finally crafted the perfect oatmeal recipe using rolled oats in an Instant Pot.
Not only that, but oats in general contain so many health benefits. Don’t think that oats are just “empty carbs” (I really hope we’ve moved past those days because I love all carbs ha!). In fact, oatmeal actually contains an incredible amount of fiber and is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, it can potentially help keep blood sugar levels stable.
How to make Instant Pot oatmeal
Making zucchini oatmeal in an Instant Pot using rolled oats is actually so simple, and it’s made easier because zucchini packs in so much added liquid, which will keep the oats from burning.
For this Instant Pot oatmeal recipe, you’ll need:
- Rolled oats (you can use sprouted oats, like I do. I also give an option for steel cut oats in the recipe box below)
- Pea protein powder
- Dairy-free milk (I recommend oat milk)
- Grated zucchini
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
Super simple, plant-based vegan and gluten free ingredients here!
Now let’s start to make the oatmeal!
1. Sauté the oats in “sauté” mode
But first, you’ll add the ingredients to your Instant Pot with the Instant Pot turned OFF. This is because if you add the oats after you’ve heated the oil, the oil might potentially spray up at you.
Keep the Instant Pot off as you add the coconut oil, oats, pea protein, and dried spices into the pot. Then lightly toss and turn the Instant Pot to “sauté” mode. Continue to lightly toss the oats for 1-2 minutes, then switch the Instant Pot off.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients
But first, give the Instant Pot 10 minutes to cool! Please don’t skip this step, as if you just go add in the wet ingredients, the heat will react with the cool wet ingredients and either ruin the pot, spray up in your face, or both.
Once the pot is cool, add in the remaining ingredients, and give it a good stir.
Then close the Instant Pot lid, make sure the pressure valve is switched to close, the turn on the pot.
3. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure cook
The Instant Pot I use has an oatmeal setting, but I’m giving the directions so that whether or not yours has that setting, you can make this oatmeal. Turn the pot on to “high pressure” and set the timer for 2 minutes
Start the Instant Pot, and all the oats to cook during the pre-heating and the 2 minute cook.
4. Allow the pressure to release, then serve and top!
Once the minute is done, switch the Instant Pot off (do not keep warm!!), and release the pressure by releasing the pressure valve. Once the pressure is completely released, it’s safe to remove the lid.
Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
What Instant Pot should I use?
I recommend using the Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus and it’s only 6 Qt (but can be used for so much). I will say that it does have an oatmeal setting on there, but that’s why I walked you through the steps of using any Instant Pot.
This is in case you don’t have the oatmeal setting, so you can still use this recipe!
Healthy oatmeal recipe topping ideas
Once your zucchini oatmeal is ready, it’s time to top! Here are some topping combination ideas or your Instant Pot oatmeal:
- Bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans (photographed)
- Sunflower seeds, fresh berries, an extra drizzle of maple syrup (nut free)
- Fresh pineapple, coconut flakes, and chia seeds (nut free)
- Homemade strawberry jam, chocolate chips, chopped cashews
- Chopped dates, apricot, and pumpkin seeds (nut free)
Of course, you can top this healthy oatmeal recipe with whatever you’d like!
How to meal prep zucchini oatmeal
As I mentioned earlier, this recipe is also perfect for a healthy meal prep. I made a whole YouTube video on how I meal prep for the week, and breakfast is definitely something I consider.
Since this makes 4 servings, you can make this oatmeal recipe x1.5 so that you have oatmeal for every day of the week.
Then store the bare zucchini oatmeal (wait to top until you’re about to eat!) in airtight containers. I love these Pryex meal prep glass jars, as I feel that when I used plastic in the past, the oatmeal would absorb a funky flavor over time.
This zucchini oatmeal will last up to 5-6 days when stored in a cool fridge (sometimes, our fridge temps will vary depending on how full they are).
When ready to eat, simply warm some dairy-free milk (I recommend topping with some homemade oat milk!) over the stove top (you can even just turn on the oven and let it sit over the oven for a few minutes if you’re avoiding the microwave), and pour the dairy-free milk over the oats.
This actually helps to warm them so easily and without a microwave! Then add on your favorite toppings and enjoy!
I hope you love this Instant Pot zucchini oatmeal recipe as much as I do! It truly does taste just like a slice of zucchini bread (speaking of which…I highly recommend checking out this healthy zucchini bread!).
If you make it, let me know down below in the comments section, as well as giving it a rating so that others can see!
Happy oatmeal making!
More healthy oatmeal recipes:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make something from The Banana Diaries, I would love to see your creations! Make sure to leave a review in comments section, as well as giving it a rating so that others may find the recipe. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan recipe inspiration!Print
Instant Pot Zucchini Oatmeal Recipe (Vegan, Protein Packed)
The easiest instant pot zucchini oatmeal recipe made from rolled oats and packed with over 17 grams of vegan protein! The perfect quick healthy breakfast!
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 1
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups gluten-free sprouted rolled oats (you can use steel cut, see note)
- 6 tbsp pea protein
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 1/4 cups dairy-free milk (I recommend oat milk)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Desired toppings (banana, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, nut/seed butter, coconut flakes, dried fruit)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- Sauté the oats: In your Instant Pot (while it’s turned off), add the melted coconut oil to the pot and lightly brush it around the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add in the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pea protein, and turn the Instant Pot on to “sauté” mode. Lightly toss the oats for 2 minutes on “sauté” mode then switch the Instant Pot off.
- Wait 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to cool. This is crucial, as when you add in the liquid, you don’t want it to spray up into your face.
- Add in the wet ingredients: add in the dairy-free milk, zucchini, maple syrup, and vanilla to the oats, and lightly stir together until evenly distributed.
- Secure the lid and switch the Instant Pot to “High Pressure” and set the time to 2 minutes (see note for steel cut cooking time). Please do not set it for any longer, as you’ll burn your oats. Make sure that the pressure valve is set to “closed.” Let the oats cook as the Instant Pot preheats then cooks.
- As soon as the 2 minutes are done, do not let the oats sit in the “keep warm” mode. This will also burn your oats. Once the cooking is done, turn the Instant Pot “off” and release the pressure valve.
- Once the valve has completely released the pressure, you can safely remove the lid. Give the oats a quick stir and plate.
- Top with your desired toppings or save several servings as a healthy meal prep breakfast!
For steel cut oats: increase the cooking time to 4 minutes and follow the remaining directions.
Keywords: zucchini oatmeal, healthy oatmeal recipe, instant pot oatmeal, vegan oatmeal recipe, protein vegan oatmeal, zucchini recipes