GF Pumpkin French Toast
‘Tis the season, folks! We hit fall on Saturday, and I could not be more pump(kin)ed to be rolling out some more autumn inspired recipes over the next few weeks! First up, I’m bringing you GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST! Made a batch of this Saturday morning before Jared and I went apple picking (can you tell I love fall?), and it was the perfect fuel!
Normally, French toast is Jared’s specialty (his challah French toast is out of this world!), but he let me take the reigns and give it a go. Needless to say, this will most likely be a weekend staple for us all throughout autumn! It’s so simple and easy, but smells and tastes better than you can imagine. It also is kid friendly, contains no added sugar, is dairy free, and can easily be made vegan (I’ll provide the option below!)!
And it still tastes like pumpkin pie? You bet! Just as sweet and delicious as ever! You’ll only need a few ingredients:
Pumpkin puree (well duh! I opt for a can-free version here)
Pumpkin Pie Spice (I love this one)
Your favorite gluten free or paleo bread
Almond milk (or your favorite nut-free milk! Have you tried making your own yet? Just blend water + a tbsp of your favorite nut/seed/coconut butter in seconds!)
Eggs (or chia eggs! I find that chia eggs work and taste better than a flax egg, but the method is the same! Use ground chia, mix with water, and swap it in!)
Now for some tips! What I found to be really helpful is really whisking the pumpkin into the almond milk first before adding in an egg/chia egg and the spices. This allows for the pumpkin to fully dissolve into the almond milk prior to adding a binding ingredient that may create clumps (nobody wants to see or taste that!). Also, don’t be afraid to let your bread sit on the pan while cooking! It’s good to let it get really nice and crispy, especially with the help of the coconut oil!
Did you like this recipe?! If so, let me know by sharing it on Instagram, commenting down below, or pinning it to your recipe page on good ol’ Pinterest! Be sure to tag me @the_bananadiaries and use the hashtag #iyamlove so that I can see your beautiful creations!
Enjoy, and happy Autumn!
- 3 slices gluten free bread
- 3 tbsp organic pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs or chia eggs (chia eggs: 1 tbsp ground chia + 1 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- Whisk together pumpkin puree and almond milk in a small bowl.
- Once the pumpkin is fully dissolved, add in the eggs, spices, and vanilla, and stir together.
- Heat coconut oil on a medium skillet.
- While heating, soak one piece of bread in the mixture and flip to evenly coat.
- Place soaked piece of bread onto the skillet and let cook on one side for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove and continue with the remaining slices.
- Top with more spices, dairy free yogurt, chocolate chips, maple syrup, anything that your heart desires!