Gooey Vegan Peanut Butter Skillet Cookie (Gluten Free)
This vegan peanut butter skillet cookie is a lighter take on a cast iron skillet cookie! So easy to make, naturally gluten free, and full of sweet peanut butter and chocolate for the ultimate healthier skillet cookie!
If you’re looking for an easier vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe (yes, even easier than these!), then look no further.
This peanut butter cookie skillet is the dream vegan gluten free cookie recipe. Crisp on the edges and gooey in the middle and pairs very well with a big fat scoop of dairy-free ice cream on top.
It’s stuffed to the brim with melty chocolate chips. Literally the most perfect cast iron skillet cookies in the history of cast iron skillet cookies.
Oh and this cookie skillet is also naturally gluten free as well. We’re using oat flour (homemade or store bought), just like my oat flour chocolate chip cookies.
What’s more, this vegan healthy skillet cookie is even easier to make than regular cookies- no need to chill the dough, and we’re making it in just one bowl! Talk about an amazing vegan cookie recipe.
Banana Reader Alert! If you love this cookie skillet, you’ll definitely want to check out the entire chapter on gluten free vegan cookies that I have in my cookbook!
Trust me, this healthier version of a peanut butter pizookie (ya know, a cookie pizza!) will have your jaw on the floor!
Healthier peanut butter cookie skillet ingredients
This cookie skillet comes together with the simplest of ingredients, and we even have a few swaps if you need to:
For this gluten free peanut butter cookie skillet, you’ll need:
- Gluten free flour: I recommend oat flour (what I used in the photos), or King Arthur Measure-for-Measure or Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten free baking flour. I’ve also made this cookie skillet with all purpose flour, and it works just as well if you’re not gluten-free.
- Peanut butter: crunchy or smooth works fine here 🙂
- Coconut sugar: You can also use organic granulated sugar and brown sugar if you’d like.
- Unsweetened applesauce: Dairy free yogurt is another great option.
- Vegan butter or coconut oil: I prefer vegan butter, but it’s up to you!
- Chocolate chips: I recommend Pascha Chocolate, Enjoy Life, or Hu Kitchen Chocolate gems.
Overview: how to make a vegan peanut butter skillet cookie
Have you ever made a cast iron chocolate chip cookie skillet? If you have, making a peanut butter version isn’t all that different! But if you’re a complete beginner (hey we all start somewhere!), then let’s go through the steps.
Start by: Preheating your oven and grease the cast iron skillet (or pie dish if you don’t have a skillet). Then whisk together the flour and baking soda and set that bowl aside while you prepare your wet ingredients.
Whisk together the sugar, applesauce, vegan butter, and peanut butter until everything is smooth. I recommend using a hand mixer, but feel free to use a stand mixer instead.
Then just combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients like you would for making regular vegan peanut butter cookies. Mix it until it’s completely consistent, like the below pictures. If you need to, you can add in a tablespoon or two of dairy free milk.
Fold in the chocolate chips until they’re evenly distributed.
Now pour the batter into a cast iron skillet, and bake until lightly golden!
Cast Iron Skillet Cookie Tips & Tricks
Now that you have the basics of this peanut butter cookie skillet down, let’s go over some tips and tricks to ensure that your healthier pizookie comes out even better!
- What to do if you don’t have a cast iron skillet: I highly recommend cooking this cookie skillet in a cast iron, but if you don’t have one, don’t worry! You can also use a 10″ pie dish, just the same!
- Use chunky or smooth peanut butter: if you want a smoother and gooier inside, stick with smooth peanut butter, but chunk will work as well!
- Vegan butter definitely gives it a more cookie taste: but some people don’t like vegan butter, or can’t consume it due to a nut allergy- totally understandable! Then I recommend using coconut oil- for less of a coconut taste, use refined coconut oil!
- No coconut sugar? Not a problem! This cookie skillet definitely doesn’t have to be refined sugar free if you don’t want or need it. In that case, swap in organic cane sugar, no problem!
- Add in extra vegan peanut butter cups for the ultimate gooey skillet cookie: I like using Lily’s Sweets, but if you make this cookie skillet with almond butter instead of peanut butter, you can try out these homemade almond butter cups!
You’re just going to absolutely love this vegan skillet cookie. If you give it a go, let me know in the comments below!
Happy baking, scooping, and cookie pizook-ing!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
This vegan peanut butter skillet cookie is a lighter take on a cast iron skillet cookie! So easy to make, naturally gluten free, dairy free, no eggs, and full of sweet peanut butter and chocolate for the ultimate healthier skillet cookie!
- 2 cups (210 g) oat flour (see notes for other flour options)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (100 g) organic granulated sugar*
- 1/2 cups (100 g) organic brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup (120 g) unsweetened applesauce*
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature*
- 1/2 cup (125 g) all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a cast iron skillet or baking dish with coconut oil or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, applesauce, softened vegan butter or coconut oil, vanilla extract, and peanut butter using a hand mixer.
- Fold in wet ingredients into dry to create a thick dough.
- Fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the peanut butter cookie dough, then pour the dough into the skillet.
- Spread it evenly around the edges and place the skillet in the oven to bake for 22-24 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing and serving with ice cream!
Flour options: You can use 1 3/4 cups (210 g) of King Arthur Measure-for-Meausre flour; or 2 cups (280 g) Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour; or 1 3/4 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour.
Refined sugar free: swap in 1 cup (200 g) coconut sugar total for the granulated sugar and brown sugar.
Applesauce: You can swap in dairy free yogurt in place of the applesauce.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 14.2 g
- Sodium: 178.6 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.4 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: peanut butter skillet cookie, healthy peanut butter skillet cookie, cast iron skillet cookie, vegan peanut butter cookies, vegan cast iron cookie