If you live in New York City, bagels are kind of a hot commodity. Yeah, it meets the stereotype! But since living here, I actually have not had a New York bagel…say what?!
Being gluten-free kinda does that to ya haha! Lately, though, I’ve really been craving them, especially since it’s sandwich-in-the-park weather (it’s a thing, I swear!). So Sunday, I decided enough was enough. I’m going to have a damn bagel!
But how do I make it not just gluten-free, but paleo as well? And I’m talking my kind of paleo: easy, simple, whole foods that I’ve already got in my kitchen. Not the paleo that uses some abstract superfood ground into a powder that you can only find in the middle of South America and costs a fortune. Yeah, I like my kind of paleo haha!
So if you know me by now, you know my love of all things sweet potato. They’re nutrient dense, satiating, and truth be told, a great substitute for anything with flour. I’m serious. I use sweet potato as the flour for most of my recipes because it gives you that dough texture without having to go out and buy a bunch of expensive organic flours!
Now, I don’t call them “sweet potato bagels” because honestly, I think I’m going to turn everyone away from sweet potatoes if I keep saying that, AND you don’t call traditional banana bread “flour banana bread,” right? So hear me out. Swap in your sweet p (Japanese, Hannah, jewel, stoke…you name it!) for flour and thank me later 😉
I don’t know about you but I’m getting the lox and cream cheese ready!
Paleo Nut-Free Bagels
Makes 6 halves, 3 whole bagels
- 1 extra large Japanese sweet potato, baked, cooled, and skin removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (or any flour you have on hand)
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potato.
- Add in eggs, flour, sea salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Take a small handful and form into a small dough ball, sticking your thumb through the middle to create a hole.
- Place on the baking sheet and repeat for the remaining dough.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 min.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then serve with your favorite spreads!