Super fun and easy vegan Harry Potter sorting hat cupcakes that are perfect for any Halloween party! Filled with each Hogwarts house color, you’ll have so much fun being sorted into your houses!
- Prepare the vegan chocolate cupcakes according to the directions, up until the step in which you cool them. To make the pumpkin chocolate version, see the notes section below.
- Place the chocolate cupcakes onto a cooling rack, and prepare the vegan buttercream frosting.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the vegan butter until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and continue to beat. Once the powdered sugar is partly incorporated, dairy-free milk and vanilla extract, starting with the smallest quantity of dairy-free milk and adding another tablespoon if the powdered sugar isn’t blending into the vegan butter. Beat until fluffy and voluminous.
- Now divide the frosting. Place 2 tbsp each of buttercream frosting into 3 small bowls. Place about 1 1/2 cups of frosting into a medium bowl. Set these bowls aside (they will be for the colors of the house).
- With the remaining frosting in the original bowl, add in the cacao powder, and continue to beat the cacao powder until it becomes a chocolate buttercream frosting. You can add in 1-2 additional tbsp of dairy-free milk if the cacao powder isn’t blending easily. Place a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and spoon the frosting into a piping bag with a round clean tip. Carefully pipe the sorting hats, starting with a large circle (about 1″ wide) and spiraling up (see the video).
- Repeat for 11 more hats. Place the baking sheet into the freezer to set the frosting so that you can mold it.
- Now core the cupcakes. You can save the cores to enjoy later! Set aside and prepare the colored frostings.
- Mix the colors for the houses. Add red coloring to one small bowl, blue to another, and yellow to another. Then add the green coloring to the medium bowl and mix each color until it’s a consistent color.
- Spoon or pipe about 1 1/2 tsps of frosting into each middle of the cupcake. You’ll have 3 cupcakes with red, 3 cupcakes with blue, 3 cupcakes with yellow, and 3 cupcakes with green.
- Then with the remaining green frosting, pipe a circle to cover the top of the cupcake so that the sorting hat can be placed on top. Set aside and remove the sorting hats.
- Use your fingers or a spoon to carefully smooth and shape the sorting hat to resemble more of a hat. Smooth the edges of the hat and the crevices. You can even shape it to be a bit crooked like the hat. If you’d like, you can also use a toothpick to carve a face into the cupcake.
- Place each hat on top of a cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
To make these chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin instead of dairy-free yogurt: adding in 1/3 cup pumpkin puree in place of the dairy-free yogurt, and add in 2 tsp pumpkin spice blend into the dry mixture.
To easily create a well in the cupcakes: use this cupcake corer.
For vegan food colorings:
Keywords: harry potter cupcakes, sorting hat cupcakes, harry potter sorting hat cupcakes, vegan harry potter cupcakes