Learn how to make the creamiest roasted cashew butter that tastes like a dream and is cheaper than store bought! A healthier alternative that tastes creamy and delicious!
I absolutely love making my own nut butter when I can. Don’t get me wrong, I have my favorite nut butter brands (including Woodstock, Artisana Organics, and Georgia Grinders), but I do find it fun to make your own!
This recipe is absolutely delicious: creamy, smooth, and rich cashew butter that tastes as good as it looks and is ready in a snap of your fingers.
Let’s dive in!
Is it cheaper to make your own cashew butter?
It absolutely can be cheaper to make your own. I like to get my organic cashews at Trader Joe’s, and that runs about $8 for the bag. I get double the amount of nut butter than I would in a store bought jar, which normally runs $7-9 for non-organic, and $12-15 for organic.
How to make cashew butter
I’ve struggled to make cashew butter as smooth as it can be store bought without an added ingredient, so this cashew butter is two ingredients, but two very simple ingredients:
- Cashews (you can use sprouted or not, but I highly recommend organic!)
- Coconut oil (or olive oil if you want to avoid coconut)
I also give a few recommendations for flavor enhancers. Personally, I like to keep my nut butters pretty standard so that I can use them for both sweet and savory recipes (which I share more about below), but go with what you feel!
Now to make the cashew butter:
- First we’ll roast the cashews. Just a few minutes in the oven gets the oils out and ready to help the nuts process into a smooth butter.
- Pulse the cashews in a food processor for 4 to 5 minutes, just until it’s smooth but chunky.
- Add in a scoop of coconut oil and blend again until it’s runny and smooth.
- Then you’ll add in your flavor enhancers (like sea salt, vanilla extract, or cinnamon) and blend again if necessary.
- Then just store in an airtight container!
Not too bad, right?
Does homemade cashew butter need to be refrigerated?
Yes! For this homemade cashew butter, you’ll need to refrigerate it after you make it. This is because with store bought nut butters, their temperatures for making the nut butters are much more controlled than when in a home kitchen.
Natural nuts can go rancid fairly easily, but place it in a fridge, and you’ll be good for up to a month. You’ll notice that it’s gone slightly bad if it starts to smell a bit rancid.
How long is cashew butter good for?
As long as you keep the cashew butter in an air tight container (like a weck or a Ball jar with a lid) and store it in the fridge, it will last about a month! You’ll notice that the cashew butter will harden a bit in the fridge.
This is because of the coconut oil. When you’re about to use the cashew butter, just allow it to sit at on the countertop for a few minutes and stir it. Additionally, you can let it sit by a warm oven or window if it’s warm outside to get things going again!
What can you use cashew butter with?
Oh the options are endless! I have a few of my favorites, so I’ll list those below, but there are a few others as well:
- Top your vegan buttermilk pancakes with some homemade cashew butter and chocolate chips (and maybe a few banana slices!).
- Swap in cashew butter for almond butter in these Paleo keto chocolate cups
- Use your new homemade cashew butter in this Paleo vegan lo mein
- Swap in this roasted cashew butter in place of almond butter in these Paleo vegan fudge bites.
- Use it in place of peanut butter in a peanut butter & jelly sandwich
- Add a tablespoon on top of homemade Paleo vegan ice cream
- Use it in my banana bread granola in place of peanut butter
The options are endless!
I hope you love this homemade cashew butter as much as I do! Once you know how to make cashew butter, it becomes so addicting to make ha!
If you do make this nut butter, let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Happy cashew butter making!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM THE BANANA DIARIES, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YouTube, AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO EVERYDAY LIFE!Print
How to make Cashew Butter (No Sugar Added)
Learn how to make the creamiest roasted cashew butter that tastes like a dream and is cheaper than store bought! A healthier alternative that tastes delicious!
- Prep Time: 7
- Cook Time: 7
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 16 ounces raw organic cashews (can use sprouted if desired)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Optional: sea salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil.
- Once preheated, place the cashews onto the baking sheet and into the oven to roast for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the cashews into a food processor, and blend until it starts to smooth but is still thick. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut oil and blend again until smooth. It should be drippy at this point.
- Add in any optional flavor enhancers if desired here and blend until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to a month.
Keywords: how to make cashew butter, homemade cashew butter, cashew butter recipe