My favorite vegan Paleo pecan pie recipe that’s completely gluten free, dairy free, and one fourth of the sugar of traditional pecan pie! Made with a vegan Paleo pie crust and simple ingredients, it’s the best pecan pie you’ll ever make!
For me, pecan pie is just a must to have at any holiday table.
Well, this is the pie that turned me into a vegan pecan pie lover.
I kid you not, everyone who has tried a slice had a jaw on the floor, where’s my next slice kind of expression. I swear this is not to toot my own horn, but there’s some straight up magic that happens when baking this Paleo pecan pie!
It’s sweet, chewy, and nutty, while not being overwhelming on the sugar content (we’re talking a fourth of the sugar that a traditional pecan pie has), and has a perfectly flaky Paleo pie crust to boot.
You’ll never know this vegan Thanksgiving pie is naturally dairy free, grain free, gluten free, lower in sugar, and contains zero corn syrup.
The Best Paleo Pecan Pie that’s secretly vegan!
Okay, so I know that’s a bold statement to make, and you probably see a lot of people use it.
To make sure that this Paleo pecan pie stood up to all other pecan pies, I did a blind taste test on my taste testers 😉 Meaning, for those that didn’t have allergies, I just presented it as a pecan pie!
And to my amazement, they just kept going back for more…and more…and more!
The most common question: “What the heck did you put in this, it tastes amazing!!”
How to make a Vegan Pecan Pie from scratch
Making a healthy vegan pecan pie is much easier than you think, so if you’re craving pecan pie this holiday season, you don’t need to go out and purchase!
Plus, your kitchen is just going to smell lovely for your guests, so that’s always a win!
Let’s go over how to make the Paleo pie crust first, and then we’ll go into the Paleo pecan filling!
Flaky Paleo vegan pie crust
So if you haven’t had a chance to check out my ultimate pie crust guide, I highly recommend giving that a go because that will have all of my best tips for making a pie crust Paleo.
But while we’re here, I wanted go over why this is truly the best healthy pie crust you’ll ever make.
Every time I make this pie, no one believes me that it’s gluten free, dairy free, and low in sugar, and what’s more the comments are always about the pie crust.
You can absolutely make this pie crust with regular flour or even just gluten free 1:1 baking flour.
Paleo Vegan Pecan Pie Filling
So you’re probably wondering how you can make a pecan pie without corn syrup…a very common concern as the traditional typically uses a syrup!
I really wanted to make a healthy pecan pie that didn’t have to be drown out in a bunch of syrups, but still tasted incredible.
So the filling is a combination of:
- Toasted pecan halves (a must! Everyone always comments on the pecan flavor as well- that’s all due to the toasting!)
- Coconut milk (or cream from a can)
- Coconut sugar (only a bit- only a FOURTH of the amount of sugar in regular pecan pies)
- Flaxseed “eggs“
- Vanilla extract
- A touch of maple syrup
- Sea salt
The full instructions for this pecan pie filling are found in the recipe card below!
But here are the basics for how to make a pecan pie from scratch. The best part? You don’t need to worry about accidentally scrambling any eggs because this pecan pie is entirely eggless!
- Heat the coconut milk, coconut sugar, maple syrup, arrowroot starch and vanilla together until the coconut sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the ground flaxseed mixture and mix again.
- Pour over the pecan halves, which are in the pie crust at this point.
- Bake the pecan pie!
My best pecan pie tips & tricks
- Make sure to toast the pecans. You just want a lightly golden brown kinda feel to them. That’s enough to add enough depth in flavor and aroma to your pie. Trust me, everyone will flip!
- Use tinfoil or a pie crust shield to protect the edges of your golden brown Paleo pie crust during the second half of baking. We’re not blind baking this crust, so this is crucial!
- Give the Paleo pecan pie time to set in the fridge: unlike traditional pecan pie, we need a bit of time for the pie to fully set. About 2 hours in the fridge will be fine!
- Don’t forget the vanilla! I love to use bourbon vanilla extract (bourbon pecan pies are a thing, and I love them!), but you can use whichever vanilla you prefer.
- Use triple refined coconut oil for less coconut taste in the pie crust. I personally don’t ever taste the coconut flavor in my pie crusts, but I know some people are sensitive to it, so triple refined really helps for the taste. That being said, you can also use a different dairy free milk for the filling if you really don’t like coconut.
- Serve pecan pie warm with your favorite dairy free ice cream! I personally love my Paleo vegan vanilla ice cream, but use whichever you’d like!
I hope you love this pecan pie recipe as much as I do! It will be a hit at all of your holiday tables 🙂 If you give this recipe a go, let me know down in the comments!
Happy vegan pecan pie making!
More vegan Thanksgiving pie recipes you’ll love:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!Print
My favorite Paleo vegan pecan pie recipe that’s completely gluten free, dairy free, and a fourth of the sugar that traditional pecan pie has, yet tastes like the classic! Made with a vegan Paleo pie crust and simple ingredients, it’s the best pecan pie you’ll ever make!
- 1 serving Vegan Flaky Pie Crust, par-baked
Paleo Vegan Pecan Pie Filling:
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed with 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- First prepare the pie crust according to the vegan flaky pie crust recipe. You will need to par-bake it.
- Once the pie crust is par-baked, begin to make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. While the oven is preheating, lay the pecan halves onto a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Place the pecan halves into the oven to toast for 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from the oven and let cool. Keep the oven on at 350F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, vanilla, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, and maple syrup together until the coconut sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes, then add in the flaxseed mixture, and mix together. Stir until the mixture is completely mixed. Set aside.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge, and place pecan halves into the middle of the raw crust.
- Pour mixture over pecan halves, and arrange the pecan halves if you desire.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes with crust covered with tinfoil or a pie crust shield around the pie crust edges. Then remove the pie shield and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling has set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: Paleo pecan pie, vegan pecan pie, gluten free pecan pie, grain free pecan pie, dairy free pecan pie