Ultra rich pumpkin brownies swirled with a vegan pumpkin cheesecake for the ultimate pumpkin dessert! You’ll never know these healthy brownies are Paleo and lower in sugar!
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve had a thing for all things pumpkin lately. Just check that Pinterest feed haha! Jared is slightly concerned I may turn orange…but it’s like I’m keeping up my summer glow, no?
Well, sticking with the theme of all delicious and healthy pumpkin desserts, I decided to try something a little bit more decadent today: ultra fudgy and rich pumpkin brownies.
These flourless brownies are packed with chocolatey goodness, fudgy chewiness, and that favorite pumpkin flavor you’ve come to know and love during this time of year. It’s elegantly swirled with a vegan pumpkin cheesecake and baked to perfection.
I recently made a batch of these to take on our trip to Florida (and Disney World! Check the Instagram stories for more on that 😉 ), and Jared flipped. He couldn’t believe how rich these brownies were.
Not to mention, my fam gave them a go as well, and mind you, they are not Paleo eaters, refined sugar free eaters, nor dairy free eaters. They loved them. Devoured them.
These pumpkin cheesecake swirl brownies did not last long, so you’ve been warned 😉 They’ll spookily disappear right before your eyes! (get it? Because Halloween is coming? Okay, dad jokes over ha!).
How to make pumpkin cheesecake brownies from scratch
I know it sometimes feels super intimidating to make brownies from scratch (let’s talk about developing this recipe too, because there were multiple times during the first batch of these that I freaked haha!).
But making them from scratch is honestly just as easy as a box mix, but they taste way. better. I’m talking I will never use a box mix again. I mean, I haven’t in years, but these brownies pretty much sealed the deal 😉
You’ll need a few basic ingredients that you can absolutely make swaps for:
- Coconut oil (or vegan butter if there’s an allergy or dislike- get triple refined coconut oil for zero coconut oil flavor!)
- Chocolate Chips
- Cacao Powder
- Cassava Flour (or all-purpose flour or gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour)
- Coconut Sugar (or regular sugar if not Paleo)
- Eggs (or ground flaxseed for vegan)
- Pumpkin Puree
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Pumpkin Spice
Now that the ingredients are covered, let’s do a quick walk through of these decadent and fudgy flourless brownies! You’ll basically make this recipe in three parts.
- The first part of the process is making sure that the coconut oil, chocolate chips, cacao powder, and coconut sugar until they’re smooth.
- Then you add in the remaining ingredients and use a hand mixer this time to ensure the batter becomes consistently smooth and thick.
- Finally, you’ll make the pumpkin cheesecake layer for your pumpkin cheesecake brownies using a hand mixer again. Place dollops of the vegan pumpkin cheesecake batter onto the brownie batter and create a swirl like below.
Then you just bake the brownies until they’re done! Not so bad, right? You’ll be making brownies from scratch like a pro in no time 😉
Tips and Tricks for making the BEST Pumpkin Brownies:
- Use 100% dark chocolate for ultra rich pumpkin cheesecake brownies. I personally go for Pascha’s 100% baking chocolate chips and find that despite them being 0 grams of sugar, these flourless brownies are still ultra rich. However, you can definitely add in your favorite chocolate chips! I also adore Lily’s Sweets chocolate chips for a good low sugar brand, and of course, Enjoy Life Sweets! They make fantastic allergy friendly chocolate chips!
- Upgrade your pumpkin cheesecake brownies! While we’re on the topic of chocolate chips, throw in a few extra for some added chocolate decadence, or add in some nuts or seeds for extra crunch!
- Need vegan pumpkin brownies? No problem! Make your healthy fall treat completely egg free as well by swapping out the eggs for ground flaxseed (see the recipe card for full details).
- Swap in your favorite flour. If you don’t have access to cassava flour easily, not a problem. While it’s a fantastic grain free flour, you can also swap in all-purpose flour if you don’t need it to be grain free and gluten free, or a gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill.
- Don’t freak when the batter becomes clumpy! This is just part of the process when you add in the eggs. Once you add in the coconut milk, it will smooth out. I know it seems scary at first- when I first tested this recipe, I freaked! But then it always smooths out to a nice and consistently smooth batter after the coconut milk is added.
- Use either pumpkin spice or cinnamon! If you don’t have pumpkin spice on hand (I mean, I’ll admit I have 4 jars in my kitchen currently, so I can share), just swap in cinnamon!
I hope you love these easy and decadent pumpkin brownies as much as I do 🙂 They’re seriously one of my favorite fall treats and just so easy to make again…and again…and again haha!
If you happen to give them a go as well, let me know in the comments below! Be sure to tag me on Instagram and Pinterest if you share your beautiful creations there 🙂 I love to see and re-share them on The Banana Diaries Instagram!
Happy baking, swirling, and brownie eating! 🙂
Check out these recipes for more healthy pumpkin desserts and fall treats!
IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING FROM THE BANANA DIARIES, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS! DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW! ALSO, FOLLOW ALONG WITH ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YouTube, AND FACEBOOK FOR MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION AND A GLIMPSE INTO EVERYDAY LIFE!Print
Ultra rich pumpkin brownies swirled with a vegan pumpkin cheesecake for the ultimate pumpkin dessert! You’ll never know these healthy brownies are Paleo and lower in sugar! Easy to make and the perfect fall treat for all taste buds!
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, or vegan butter
- 3/4 cup 100% dark chocolate chips, or your favorite chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup cassava flour, or all-purpose flour or gluten-free 1-to-1 flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature, or 3 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder, or Paleo baking powder*
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
- Optional: 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 8×8 baking dish with olive oil or coconut oil, and line with parchment paper if desired.
- In microwave safe bowl, heat coconut oil until melted and warm (should not be scalding hot, just warm to touch).
- Add in chocolate chips and mix together until completely melted.
- Transfer the coconut oil chocolate mixture to a large bowl and add in cacao powder and coconut sugar. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add in vanilla extract and eggs or ground flaxseed and mix until completely combine. The batter might start to become clumpy at this point. This is okay, as it will smooth out when the coconut milk is added.
- Sift in the cassava flour and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the coconut milk, and use a hand mixer to beat the batter until smooth. You should now have a thick and smooth brownie batter.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the pumpkin puree, vegan cream cheese, spices, and cassava flour (and additional maple syrup if desired) until smooth.
- Drop dollops of pumpkin cheesecake batter onto the brownie batter and swirl it together. Be careful not to over swirl, as then you won’t be able to discern the pumpkin cheesecake parts.
- Place the brownies into the oven to bake for 21-23 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before slicing.
Paleo baking powder: combine 1 tsp baking soda with 2 tsp vinegar and let it sit until it starts to activate by bubbling. Pour into the batter in place of the baking powder.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin brownies, pumpkin cheesecake brownies, pumpkin swirl brownies, Paleo brownies, dairy free, gluten free, vegan