This creamy and delicious homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte is full of fall flavor, faster to make than ordering one at Starbucks and half the sugar! Made with real, dairy free and vegan ingredients, this pumpkin spice latte is the perfect cozy fall morning drink!
Are pumpkin spice lattes vegan?
So once upon a time, the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte could have been made vegan by just swapping in dairy free milk and omitting the whipped cream.
Unfortunately, a few years back, they actually changed the formula for the pumpkin spice latte so that even switching out the dairy free milk won’t make this a vegan-friendly drink.
I know. Bummer town.
Thankfully, we now have a recipe for a vegan pumpkin spice latte that you can easily make at home and at much better price too 😉
My favorite homemade pumpkin spice latte
This homemade pumpkin spice latte honestly beats out one that you would purchase in stores, personally.
It’s an entirely vegan pumpkin latte full of real pumpkin, maple syrup, and warming spices that basically make this homemade latte autumn in a mug.
What’s more, this latte is entirely dairy free, dye free, refined sugar free, and low in sugar!
To make this homemade latte, you’ll need:
- dairy free milk
- maple syrup
- coconut sugar
- pumpkin puree
- pumpkin spice blend
Now, I will note that this homemade latte does require a bit of equipment. You’ll need an espresso maker, as this tastes best with espresso and not home brewed coffee.
You’ll also need to be able to foam the dairy free milk, either with a blender or a steamer for milk.
How to make a homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte
The full ingredients measurements and instructions for this vegan pumpkin spice latte are found down below in the recipe card.
However, the steps are very simple:
- Add the pumpkin puree, spices, maple syrup, and coconut sugar to your mug.
- Brew the espresso over the pumpkin puree and other ingredients. I like to do two shots of espresso here!
- Set the mug aside and steam the dairy free milk.
- Pour the dairy free milk on top of the espresso and sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon!
Substitutions & tips
- Use your favorite dairy free milk: but keep in mind that a lower in fat dairy free milk won’t foam as well as a high fat/creamy dairy free milk. I like using oat milk here or cashew milk.
- You can make this with brewed coffee but it won’t taste like a latte: this is because espresso is different from brewed coffee. Think of coffee as a very watered-down version of espresso, but even then it’s still different. Just keep in mind that the best version of this homemade pumpkin spice latte will be with espresso and not brewed coffee.
- Make your own pumpkin spice blend! This specific pumpkin spice blend is one that I use when I’ve run out of my store bought blend, and it’s wonderful!
- Use real pumpkin puree! Don’t skip this part! In fact, the Starbucks version even includes pumpkin puree in it. If you want a homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte, including the pumpkin puree is the key!
- My favorite espresso machine is the Calphalon iQ Espresso Machine: it’s so nice because you can also foam the dairy free milk with the same machine that you’re making the espresso with. Hands down, this is my favorite machine- I haven’t bought coffee in over a year because of this machine, I quite literally prefer this coffee to any cafe!
I hope that you love this homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte as much as I do! If you make it, let me know down below in the comments section. As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there!
Happy pumpkin spice latte brewing!
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!Print
This creamy and delicious homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte is full of fall flavor and is faster to make than ordering one at Starbucks! Made with real, dairy free and vegan ingredients, this pumpkin spice latte is the perfect cozy fall morning drink!
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1–2 shots espresso
- Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice blend, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and maple syrup to a mug.
- Brew the espresso over the ingredients in the mug.
- Use a spoon to mix together the espresso with the ingredients until completely dissolved.
- Steam the oat milk until foamy, and pour the oat milk on top of the espresso.
- Serve with an extra dash of cinnamon and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan pumpkin spice latte, homemade pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin latte