These are the easiest vegan pancakes ever! Just one bowl, these vegan buttermilk pancakes are ready in 5 minutes and melt in your mouth fluffy! Completely gluten free too!
You’re going to absolutely LOVE this vegan pancake recipe. I’m not even joking, this has been my weekend breakfast routine since the summer of 2019, when I created this routine.
I like to make myself a stack whilst enjoying a big cup of coffee and a good book 🙂 You can never go wrong with a little Harry Potter, right?
These are quite literally the best vegan pancakes I’ve ever had for a few reason.
They’re super fluffy and light, tasting identical to the classic buttermilk pancakes that both kids and adults. Plus they’re ready in just 10 minutes tops, especially if you’re using a pancake griddle.
Scale the recipe up or down to as needed, and of course, make them entirely gluten free (even with just oat flour- no expensive gluten free flour needed!).
Trust me when I say this is the only vegan pancakes recipe that you’ll need. Just ask my crew on Instagram 🙂 I swear, it’s usually the first recipe of mine people make before expanding onwards to all the recipes!
Why? Probably because these vegan pancakes are extraordinarily kid-friendly (in fact, people write in saying that their kids loved it as much as they did!), plus it’s made with only a handful of ingredients that are far from weird or uncommon.
Ingredients for healthy vegan pancakes:
For these vegan gluten free pancakes, you’ll need only a few simply ingredients:
- Gluten free flour: the gluten free flour that I used in this recipe is by Bob’s Red Mill– I have found that for a general gluten free flour, this is the best one! However, you can also use homemade oat flour or cassava flour here, in equal ratios to the regular flour!
- Coconut Sugar: to keep these healthy buttermilk pancakes refined sugar free, I used coconut sugar! You can find an amazing and organic coconut sugar at Trader Joe’s or do a little shopping online.
- Vegan “Buttermilk:” one of my favorite baking tricks is to combine a dairy free milk, like coconut milk for instance, with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to create a vegan “buttermilk!” You can use any dairy free milk here, and even use white vinegar as well- it’s just so easy! Just mix the two together, let it sit, and there you go- a homemade vegan “buttermilk!”
- Applesauce: this is key for the fluffiness- I swear, whenever I combine applesauce and my homemade vegan “buttermilk,” I get the fluffiest texture, no matter if it’s gluten free, Paleo, or just regular ol’ flour. There are actually so many inquiries as to how to make pancakes without eggs, and this is your simple fix. However, I also have another trick, which I’ll explain in a second 🙂
- Vanilla: most buttermilk pancake recipes don’t call for it, but I think vanilla adds a really nice sweetness to pancakes! Omit it if you like, but I will always be keeping vanilla in my pancake batter!
How to make vegan buttermilk pancakes from scratch:
Making gluten free vegan pancakes may sound intimidating, but it’s actually far from it!
Really, anyone can do this, even kids (with adult supervision ha!)! The part is, whether you’re using gluten free flour or regular flour, the process and ratios are entirely the same. I know, these healthy vegan buttermilk pancakes are that good!
How do you make vegan buttermilk?
The first step in all of this is to make sure that your vegan “buttermilk” is prepared.
To do this, simply mix together the coconut (or any dairy free) milk together with apple cider vinegar, then set it aside while you get the dry ingredients going.
After about 5 minutes, the dairy free mixture will begin to curdle, much like regular
Making healthier pancakes:
Now that we have the vegan buttermilk created, you’ll need to actually make the pancakes! Almost forgot, didn’t you?! Getting all excited over vegan buttermilk ha!
To make the batter:
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and coconut sugar.
- Add in the vegan “buttermilk,” unsweetened applesauce (or flaxseed egg…we’ll get to that in a minute), and vanilla extract in no particular order, and mix it together really well with a spoon. You want to make sure that all clumps of flour are removed!
Then we prepare to cook the pancakes! For this part, I highly recommend getting a pancake griddle. They are the easiest of kitchen tools to use, and honestly, if you’re a pancake lover like I am, it’s a worthy investment (usually between $30-$40!).
That way, you can cook 12 pancakes on a pan, and really crank these flapjacks out.
OR you can use a regular pan, which is also easy, just won’t fit as many pancakes on there. Either way, heat your preferred tool up and melt a little cooking oil (I like avocado oil or coconut oil here) and pour about a scant 1/3 cup of batter onto the pan.
Cook for 2-3 minutes depending on how hot your surface is, then flip to cook for another 20-30 seconds.
Repeat until you have no more batter left and then serve!
How to make a vegan flax egg:
If you don’t have applesauce or want to keep the sugar count down (unsweetened applesauce doesn’t add that much to begin with though!), you can absolutely swap in a vegan flax egg.
What’s a vegan flax egg? It’s a mixture of water and ground flax that basically forms the texture and consistency of an egg. It actually works wonderfully in vegan baking and is pretty 1:1!
All you’ll need to do to swap in 1 flax egg for 1 egg is:
- Combine 1 tbsp of ground flax with 1.5 tbsp of water.
- Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add more tbsp of flax for more eggs!
What to top vegan pancakes with:
My favorite part of the process is obviously the toppings! A stack of flapjacks, short or tall, basically becomes your canvas for any flavor combination.
You could go simple, like with a pat of vegan butter and a drizzle of real maple syrup, or even add chocolate chips to that combo!
Or you could go even more classic, with coconut whipped cream and blueberries. These pancakes can easily transform into vegan blueberry pancakes by just adding blueberries to the pancake batter.
You could also go for a PB & J combo, using fresh jam and a drizzle of peanut butter.
Some more pancake topping ideas:
- Strawberries and coconut cream
- Cinnamon, vegan butter, and maple syrup
- Bananas and maple syrup
- Chocolate chips and bananas
I hope you love these easy one bowl healthy vegan pancakes as much as I do! This is truly the best no-fail fluffy vegan pancake recipe.
If you give them a go, let me know in the comments section below, as well as giving it a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others may find the recipe.
Happy pancake flipping!
More Vegan Pancakes:
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!Print
One bowl vegan buttermilk pancakes that are so easy and melt in your mouth fluffy! Completely gluten free, these healthy vegan pancakes taste like the real deal!
- 2 cups gluten free flour , oat flour, or regular flour
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 4 tbsp ground flax seed with 1/2 cup water)
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp cooking oil for pan
- Combine the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, and let it sit for a minute while preparing the dry ingredients
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and coconut sugar.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar coconut milk mixture, applesauce or flaxseed egg, vanilla extract, and melted butter and stir until smooth.
- Heat a pancake griddle or pan with a little cooking oil (I like avocado oil or coconut oil).
- Pour just under a 1/3 cup of pancake batter for each pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip to cook for about 20-30 seconds on the other side, until golden brown.
- Remove from the griddle and repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serve with chocolate chips, maple syrup, vegan butter, berry jam, fresh fruit, or any preferred toppings!
Keywords: vegan pancakes, vegan buttermilk pancakes, gluten free pancakes, refined sugar free, healthy pancakes