The Easiest Banana Cream Cheese Coffee Cake – No eggs, no dairy!
This deliciously moist and tender banana coffee cake is layered with a creamy brown sugar dairy free cream cheese filling and roasted banana. This banana crumb cake is soft, perfectly sweet, fluffy, and naturally vegan thanks to using just banana as the eggs (and swapping in non-dairy alternatives!). Like cheesecake, banana bread, and coffee cake in one, and so easy, you don’t even need eggs nor dairy!
Why you NEED to try this banana coffee cake:
I’m telling you now, this is about to be your new FAVORITE breakfast cake, brunch treat, or anytime snack. It’s moist, rich, fluffy, and just perfectly soft. You’d never know this coffee cake contains ZERO eggs (nor any vegan egg replacements!) – just like its very delicious and summery cousin, the lemon blueberry cream cheese coffee cake 😉
My family, friends, and neighbors (many of whom are NOT dairy free nor vegan) said this banana crumb cake was easily the best coffee cake they ever ate.
So tell me about the layers of this gorgeous cream cheese filled banana coffee cake:
- Soft and rich banana cake base: Like in my classic coffee cake, we have a vanilla cake base- but with a rich banana flavor that has notes of buttery sweet vanilla. We’re also enriching the texture and flavor with brown sugar to add in more moisture to the cake. It’s easy and quick to make, and super moist, thanks to both the banana and (vegan) sour cream.
- Lush and creamy cream cheese filling: And you don’t need any eggs to set it! With just a touch of cornstarch and brown sugar, this cream cheese filling sets like a silky cheesecake in the middle, and just perfectly balances the sweetness of the bananas.
- Roasted banana: What takes this cream cheese banana crumb cake to the next level is the layer of roasted bananas in the middle.
- Crumb topping: Then we finish this coffee cake twist with a sprinkle of classic brown sugar crumble topping before baking this lush cake into perfection.
Learn how to bake *unbelievably* vegan desserts in 5 steps!
Want to make amazing vegan and gluten free desserts that no one will know are eggless and dairy free? Sign up for this free e-course to transform your vegan bakes!
The best part about this banana coffee cake is that it’s SO simple, you could even just use a whisk and a large mixing bowl (so put away those stand mixers!). And let’s get started!
Is this cream cheese banana crumb cake vegan?
Like every recipe on my site, this banana crumb cake is naturally vegan, dairy free, and eggless. And you don’t even need any complicated swaps to make it too because we’re using my favorite vegan egg replacements– bananas!
Bananas act very much like eggs in cakes, breads, and muffins, and are especially helpful when the recipe is banana flavored, like this one (and my vegan banana bread and vegan chocolate banana bread!). So no need to even swap in an egg for another replacement (like flax eggs or yogurt!).
And of course, we’re also using dairy free versions of the more conventional ingredients (butter, milk, and buttermilk!). I love using Miyoko’s vegan butter, and I make my own vegan buttermilk by combining almond milk (or soy milk or oat milk!) with apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice!).
Simple, quick, and easy to keep this cream cheese filled banana coffee cake super approachable 🙂
Overview: How to make banana coffee cake with a cream cheese filling:
Can I make this banana crumb cake gluten free?
Absolutely! I love using King Arthur Measure-for-Measure gluten free flour blend. I don’t recommend using Namaste flour blend- it never seems to work for my recipes. Some people have success with Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free flour blend, but not me personally, so I don’t recommend it anymore.
Pro tip: Add in a tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot starch to your gluten-free flour blend to help with any grittiness.
Do I need to use a springform pan?
If you don’t have a round 8″ or 9″ springform pan, feel free to use a large, 9″ square baking dish or even a 9×13″ sheet pan. The banana coffee cake will be more spread out, so it won’t rise AS tall as the photos in the sheet pan, but you’ll still get that height in a square baking pan.
How to serve and store this coffee cake:
Because of our cream cheese filling, we need to allow this banana crumb cake to cool for 30 minutes (which allows the filling to set more!). Then you can serve this deliciously vegan banana coffee cake warm or cool for brunch, breakfast, or a snack!
To store any leftovers: Place any leftover slices in an airtight bag or container and in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More vegan banana recipes you’ll love!
Here are a few more amazing banana recipes that you’re just going to love!
- One bowl vegan banana cake with chocolate frosting
- Vegan banana pudding tiramisu
- Salted caramel banana pudding cups
- Banana bread cinnamon rolls with peanut butter frosting
Want to save this recipe for later? Add it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below. This helps others to find the recipes! As always, I absolutely love to see your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest, so be sure to tag me there as well!Print
This deliciously moist and tender banana coffee cake is layered with a creamy brown sugar cream cheese filling. Like cheesecake, banana bread, and coffee cake in one, and so easy, you don’t even need eggs!
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (150 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 banana
- 8 ounces (226 g) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Banana Crumb Cake:
- 3 cups (375 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large ripe bananas (about 200 g), mashed
- 1 tbsp vegan sour cream or dairy free yogurt
- 2/3 cup (180 g) vegan buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Optional Finishing Topping:
- 1 cup (140 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp dairy free milk (such as oat milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease an 8″ or 9″ springform pan and line with parchment paper. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper. Make sure the 2 bananas for the crumb cake batter are mashed. Keep the 1 banana in the cream cheese filling section whole. Prep the vegan buttermilk.
- Roast the banana: Take the 1 banana from the cream cheese filling section, and split it in half. Place the open sides of the banana face down on the parchment paper lined baking sheet, and roast the banana in the oven for 7-10 minutes, until the banana aroma is fragrant. Remove the banana from the oven, and keep the oven on at 350F. Allow the banana to cool while you make the remaining components.
- Make the crumble topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Add in the melted vegan butter and vanilla extract, and use a fork to press the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a crumble topping and all of the dry mixture is wet. Set aside.
- Make the cream cheese filling: In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or a whisk to whisk together the cream cheese, brown sugar, and cornstarch (it’s easier with a hand mixer but can be done with a whisk). Set aside. Now, you can mash the roasted banana too in a separate small bowl. Set aside.
- Next, make the banana crumb cake batter: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Then in a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, mashed banana, sour cream, and vanilla extract until combined. Then add in the dry ingredients, along with the vegan buttermilk. Whisk just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients, being careful NOT to over-mix. You don’t need a super smooth batter.
- Assemble the banana cream cheese coffee cake: Pour half of the banana crumb cake batter into your prepared springform pan. Then add the cream cheese layer, and use an offset spatula to spread the cream cheese to the edges of the pan. Spread the mashed roasted banana on top, and pour the remaining banana crumb cake batter on top, spreading the batter to the edges of the pan. Then finally, top with the crumb topping.
- Bake: Place the springform pan onto a baking sheet, and place the baking sheet into the oven to bake for 70-75 minutes for an 8″ pan, and 60-65 minutes for a 9″ pan, or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean. Once baked, remove the banana coffee cake from the oven.
- Cool: Allow the coffee cake to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy! Use a butter knife to run along the edges of the springform pan and the coffee cake. Then carefully remove the springform pan walls. Make the optional glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, dairy free milk, and vanilla. Drizzle on top, slice and serve! Enjoy!
Gluten free: I recommend using King Arthur Measure-for-Measure gluten free flour blend. It’s my favorite! You can use the gram measurements or the cups.
Keywords: banana coffee cake, banana crumb cake, cream cheese banana coffee cake, cream cheese coffee cake, sour cream coffee cake, vegan, gluten free, no eggs, dairy free