40+ Delicious & Easy Vegan Christmas Cookies To Bake
These are the top super festive and fun vegan Christmas cookies to make this year! Everything from classic vegan sugar cookies to even some fun Christmas tree slice n’ bake cookies, there’s a cookie for everyone, even vegan gluten free Christmas cookies! FREE downloadable vegan cookie guide!
Vegan Cookie Baking Success
Making vegan Christmas cookies is actually not dissimilar from baking regular classic Christmas and holiday cookies.
Like in my vegan baking guide, I want to echo this sentiment: many of the same rules apply.
Here are a few of my top tips for vegan cookie baking success:
Room temperature vegan butter or coconut oil: if the recipe calls for room temperature, this means that the vegan butter, much like regular butter, needs to be soft to the touch, but not melted. You should be able to indent a finger easily into the vegan butter.
Now, the only way to really achieve this is time. It is strongly advised that you don’t microwave the vegan butter to speed up the softening process- the vegan butter won’t soften evenly.
The best guide I’ve found for softened butter actually comes from Sally’s Baking Addiction. While she’s discussing regular butter, the same rules apply to vegan butter.
Trust me, learn from my mistakes- time is important!
Which leads me to…
Determine how long the cookies you’d like to bake will take and plan ahead: whether you’re making 1 batch of cookies or 4 batches of 12 different types of vegan cookies, it’s always best to read through the directions, determine how long it will take to make each batch, and plan accordingly. This little trick will take 10 minutes max and save you hours down the line!
This year, we made a free downloadable guide right down at the end of the post to help with your cookie planning process, from the grocery store to the packaging and gifting!
Read through the cookie ingredients and instructions list thoroughly: before you do anything else, read through the ingredients list and the instructions. This will also help to prepare you for what the next steps are in the process, so you know what to expect!
Use the proper baking sheet! This is so crucial. Did you know that light baking sheets actually help cookies spread more, while darker baking sheets do the opposite?
This is why it’s crucial to pay attention to which baking sheet you’re using for which cookie recipe. A vegan chocolate chip cookie would do perfectly on a lighter baking sheet while a vegan shortbread cookie would work best on a darker baking sheet.
How to prepare cookies ahead of time
We discuss this a lot in the free cookie guide, found down below, but many of these cookies can either be frozen in dough form or as a baked cookie. That way, you can also bake these cookies over a few days time.
I would really think through which cookies you’re making, then determine how long each will take you to make. We have a full cookie time sheet in the free guide below that will help you keep track of your baking process!
Can I freeze vegan cookie dough?
Most vegan cookies, absolutely! I’m pretty sure you can with every vegan cookie dough recipe, but I can only speak for my own recipes- and that’s a sure fire yes for any vegan Christmas cookie recipe on The Banana Diaries!
Whether you’re making regular vegan Christmas cookies or vegan gluten free Christmas cookies, the same rule applies!
You’ll want to freeze the cookie dough according to the specific vegan Christmas cookies recipe you’re making, but a general rule of thumb is, if it’s a scoop-able dough, you’ll freeze them pre-scooped and if it’s a sliceable dough, you’ll freeze it pre-sliced.
For cut-outs, you can store the dough similar to a pie disc. Then allow the dough to soften so that you can roll when you’re ready to bake!
Mailing Christmas Cookies
This year, I think people are mailing their Christmas cookie creations to family and loved ones more than ever.
This is a fantastic guide on how to best mail your vegan Christmas cookie creations to your friends and family as fun edible gifts.
Some of the key takeaways:
- Choose the right cookie to mail: ones that need refrigeration might not fair so well.
- Use a sturdy tin or package: making a cookie box is the best part! You can find a few good cookie tins on Etsy, or use your favorite that you’d like to also give as a part of the gift.
- Let your friend/family member know that cookies are on their way! Just in case they won’t be there for a few days and need to get the cookies into the house right away 🙂
Classic Vegan Christmas Cookies
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Paleo Vegan Sugar Cookie Cut Outs
- Vegan Christmas Slice n’ Bake Cookies
- Paleo Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Vegan Gingerbread House
- Italian Rainbow Cookies
- Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- The Best Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Gluten Free Vegan Linzer Cookies
- Classic Vegan Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Vegan Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Vegan Vanillekipferl (from Austria & Germany) via Vegan On Board
- Snowball Italian Wedding Cookies via Veggie Society
- Classic Christmas Shortbread Cookies
Quick & Easy Vegan Christmas Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes
- Vegan Red Velvet Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies via Baked With Love
- BEST Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Vegan Snowball Cookies via Vegan Huggs
- One Cookie Dough, Endless Cookies
Vegan Gluten Free Christmas Cookies
- Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- Vegan Meringue Cookies
- Easy Vegan Reindeer Cookies (Gluten Free)
- Iced Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- Gooey Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies via This Healthy Kitchen
Fun Vegan Cookies
- Brownie Cookie Nutella Bars
- Vegan Nutella Linzer Cookies
- Vegan S’mores Cookies
- Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Skillet
- Vegan Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
- Chocolate Hazelnut Bites
- Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Coffee Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies via Sprouts and Krauts
- Chewy Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies via Foodal
How to make Pretty Cookie Box
This is probably my favorite part of the vegan Christmas cookie baking process! I know, a bit dorky, but I do love a beautiful cookie box.
The first step is choose the cookies. You can choose two types of cookies or even 10, but make sure that you’re setting aside enough time to bake everything. This year, I even included my friend, Tom’s amazing vegan vanilla macarons.
I also like to choose cookies that I know look really good together. I think it’s fun to have some repeating shapes (many circular cookies), and then throwing in a few unique shapes (gingerbread people, cookie cut-outs, truffles, even peppermint bark).
Then choose your Christmas cookie box. You can either make it yourself using stiff cardboard paper or purchase one. I like to use one with sections, which will definitely come in handy for packaging and shipping.
Next, we’ll arrange the cookies. This is where fun composition techniques come in! There’s the rule of thirds, repetition, leading lines, the Golden Ratio (Fibonacci spiral), and more, but I personally like to go with the Golden Ratio.
I think it helps guide the eye really well! Of course, you can just have fun with it. But I think these offer up great guidelines!
Finally, you’ll package up the vegan Christmas cookies and ship them!
Free Printable Vegan Cookie Baking Guide:
Vegan Christmas Cookie Tips Recap:
- Use the right baking sheet with the right cookie recipe: remember that a lighter baking sheet will help cookies spread while a darker baking sheet will prevent cookies from spreading
- For cookies that have trouble spreading: use a silpat silicone mat- this helps the cookies spread more than parchment paper.
- Make sure to allot enough time to soften the vegan butter: a crucial step!
- Read through the instructions before beginning: this will help you move seamlessly through each step.
- Use our favorite vegan royal icing: this is truly the best royal icing, and makes your vegan sugar cookies look like they came out of a professional bakery!
- Remember to have fun: I’ve been there where you want the iced sugar cookie design to look so perfect and yet it looks like an epic Pinterest fail. We ALL have. No one is perfect. The most important part of this process is to have fun. The more fun you have, I promise you, the better the cookies will turn out. It’s some unspoken law of the Universe 😉